5120x2880 resolution in game

ImageNeed any help? Do you have a problem? Ask us! We will help you!
Bogdan

5120x2880 resolution in game

Post by Bogdan »

Dear Mona,

Today I did a fresh install of EE2 Patch on my new computer with 5120x2880 monitor.
The Pacth detected current resolution but unfortunately it seems that it doesn't work:
Spoiler
1.png
1.png (662.03 KiB) Viewed 902 times
2.png
2.png (38.59 KiB) Viewed 902 times
At the same time, 4096x2304 resolution seems to work fine...
I understand it can be connected to my display, graphics card, etc., but I'd like the highest resolution possible :D

So, any chance I can enable 5k or should I give this up?

Thank you!

Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Re: 5120x2880 resolution in game

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Hi. I'm happy to read that you have a new computer.

I am 99% sure that this crash is related to the "Enable Automatic Font Size (BETA)" option at the bottom of UP1.5 Settings.

Unfortunately, unchecking it will make text in game drastically small.

You can try to fix this crash, by modifying the editable UP1.5 Automatic Font Size source file. It is placed in:
Unofficial Patch Files \ EXEGeneratorData \ dbfont.csv.Source.txt

You should be interested in the "max=" values. This way you can limit the maximum font size value. Nothing else should be touched.

Unfortunately, you would need to make a lot of tests until you find which line has too big font and requires tweaking.

What could be worth trying:
1. Make a backup of dbfont.csv.Source.txt file.
2. Edit dbfont.csv.Source.txt, and paste to it the content of the original dbfont.csv file (it's in some .zip in zips folder).
3. Click "Clear Cache" button in UP1.5 Settings, or delete file zips \ db_156_autofonts.zip to force the Automatic Font Size re-generation.
4. Check if the game starts fine (font size should be default).
5. Edit file dbfont.csv.Source.txt, and paste updated lines from the backupped dbfont.csv.Source.txt. So you test 1 Auto-Font line at a time. You can test in groups.
6. Clear Cache or delete zips \ db_156_autofonts.zip to force the Automatic Font Size re-generation (the same step as before).
7. Test if the game still starts without the crash.
8. Once you find the problematic line, try to reduce "max=" values, finding the biggest possible (without crash) value. Do not increase them at any point, since I was already spending a lot of hours to optimize it for big screen resolutions.
9. When you fix the line, and the game starts: progress to the next line.

I'm sure that with some time spent for it, you will be able to fix this crash. After that I would like to ask you to upload your modified file, so I can include it in UP1.5 update. Please always try to find the biggest "max=" value possible, never go down too far, because that would ruin the Auto Font Size feature experience on some bigger resolutions.

Generally, it sounds complicated, but the task is extremely easy. It's just about finding the correct max numbers.

Could you please focus on it one day?
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
Bogdan

Post by Bogdan »

Hello Mona,

Yes, indeed this is because of Automatic Font Size feature.
After many trials just as you said I found that with changing variables in lines 6, 7 and 10 in dbfont.csv.Source.txt file the game is not crashing anymore. In line 6 and 7 I subtracted 20 from max value and also subtracted 10 in line 10. I tried bigger values but with them text has some underlined letters in it.

All in all, with current values text looks great on my 5k monitor, with only problem left is underlined text of in-game messages:
Spoiler
EE2_ScreenShot_2023-07-10_16.42.26.694.jpg
EE2_ScreenShot_2023-07-10_16.42.26.694.jpg (3.24 MiB) Viewed 888 times
Other than that text looks ok, but I don't know which line is 'responsible' for these messages thing. Maybe you know?

Attached is file with my current settings
dbfont.csv.Source.txt
(4.21 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
These users thanked the author Bogdan for the post:
Dr.MonaLisa
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Thank you for checking it!

I'm not sure if the game messages have a separate font, or it's just some bug with setting the transparent background in it. In zips / db_155.zip there should be some file with widget5.csv in name that shows which fonts / what widget sizes are used. Could you try to find the chat one there? I would hope that there is some max width value, but I might be wrong.

Either way, did you also have underlines in the main menu, or some other parts of the game? If it's just about the maximum font, then I think lowering it as much as finding the non-buggy one could be a good solution.

Added after 4 minutes 49 seconds:
I also see there are some values like "ts512x512". Maybe it stands for the maximum texture size?

Maybe you could find the chat line by drastically reducing the max= values line by line, until you find the one that changes it for chat messages? After that you could try tweaking "ts" stuff and see what comes out of it.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

The file I was talking about seems to be: zips \ db_155.zip \ db \ UI \ dbwidget_ingam5.csv

Code: Select all

// chat output overlay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
chat_display,Unknown,,0,,,,,200,100,0,0,1200,600,,,,fs_std_large_bold_white_outline,,0,0,,,,1,,"""wordWrap autoScroll markup dispType=0 numVisible=5"""
I found that fs_std_large_bold_white_outline is defined in file: db.zip \ db \ UI \ dbfontstyle.csv

Code: Select all

fs_std_large_bold_white_outline,fnt_pal_large_bold_outline,[255 255 255],[128 128 128],[0 0 0],[240 240 100],0,0,[0 0 0 0 0 0],[0 0 0],[0 0 0],[0 0 0]
So it's fnt_pal_large_bold_outline in the dbfont.csv file.

Added after 21 minutes 30 seconds:
I found out that max=62 is the last one that has no under/above lines in game chat. How does it look when you set it? Isn't the chat text too small then? Does it reduce the font size somewhere else, where it displayed correctly before, even when was bigger?
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Bogdan

Post by Bogdan »

Can confirm, setting fnt_pal_large_bold_outline to 62 fixed the problem! Looks great and doesn't make any other text smaller.
Overall, with these settings text look great on 5k:
Spoiler
1.jpg
1.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 870 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 870 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 870 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (1011.8 KiB) Viewed 870 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (3.19 MiB) Viewed 870 times
What certainly looks smaller (compared to 4096x2304 resolution with Automatic Font Size that works as it works at the moment) is unit description/health texts. Here's how it looks on 4096x2304:
Spoiler
6.jpg
6.jpg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 870 times
It's not as dramatic as it was before, but certainly needs more testing. Although like I said, bigger values make some letters UnderLined.
Maybe I should experiment more with values in lines 6, 7, 10
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Thanks for screenshots! The chat text looks a bit small, but I would say it's acceptable size. At least bug-free.

For descriptions / health there might another line with "max=" limit. What could be worth trying is drastically REDUCING the max size line by line, to see which one is responsible for displaying the health / attack points text. Once it's found, then you can try to increase the font size over the current max limit to see what happens.

The only issue is, that it was crashing randomly for the other high resolutions I tested. Sometimes the smaller screen resolution required smaller font not to crash. It's time consuming process to make it perfect for all resolution. I didn't want to pre-define files since we don't know what screen resolutions will be popular in the future, and I love automated solutions.

Meanwhile, I realized that I could try to workaround the text changing lag for Chinese players, by simply adding extra fonts in their files and making their font as the "West" one. This way, maybe the game will finally generate fonts for them on the first-launch and stop lagging so hard during the navigation.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Bogdan

Post by Bogdan »

I found that line 11 fnt_pal_small is 'responsible' for descriptions / health lines, however changing max values to more than 36 (even 37) and the game crashes immediately. I don't think there's more that I can do here :)

Honestly, all texts are looking good enough already, and chat lines are not small: on 27'' inch screen I don't see a problem at all. So this is my final setup for 5k monitor:
dbfont.csv.Source.txt
(4.21 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Maybe this will be useful for you
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Have you by any chance tried to copy content of the other lines to the fnt_pal_small line?
For example, there are variables such as: Huge, Large, Medium, Small, Tiny, and there are different texture sizes (eg. ts64x64 vs ts1024x1024).

I wonder if it worked, I could maybe improve the Auto-Fonts feature to automatically change the limited sizes, allowing bigger texts without the crash?

If you could test it more, I would very appreciate it.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Hey Bogdan. Just refreshing the topic to make sure you didn't miss my message.

No hurries, but when you get a chance please check the variations I mentioned above, and let's see if it can be automated in the next versions :)
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs

Return to “Help, Questions & Problems. Empire Earth II Support.”