The Roman Expedition (quest based scenario)

ImageImageTalking about Modding for EE2 and EE2 AOS. New maps, patches, programs and Multiplayer scenarios.
calsch03

Re: The Roman Expedition (quest based scenario)

Post by calsch03 »

Hallo Radu273, that's good to know. I'm happy you found the solution to the issue and I hope you can now enjoy the mission :D.

There is an option to disable in-game chat messages indeed. I forgot about that. My mission needs the in-game chat message system enabled to be able to read what you have typed. I also use it for this mission as well as in Survival Egypt to inform the player about events and in mission story elements. Disabling this option will break the mission, but there is nothing I can change about this.

Thanks for letting me know the issue, now we can inform other players if they have it disabled.

Radu273

Post by Radu273 »

i just finished it and did both outcomes. the mission is surely interesting and stands out above other missions.
i want to give you some feedback about your other mission, survive egypt(easy), because i played it, but only with cheats i could see the end of the 65 wave.
the mission surely presents itself like a challenge, but playing the best i could and at the easiest difficulty, i had no change to survive past 10 wave. i took everything into account, i tried to develop my nation, to put fortresess for defence and build an army, but the mission is crazy hard. for future players who will play it i recommend to seriously lower the difficulty. that being said i thank you for the content. i surely enjoyed some of it. good luck!
calsch03

Post by calsch03 »

I'm glad you liked it.

As for Egypt, easy is perhaps a misleading term and it is definitely less polished and ballanced then normal. Easy is only easier after a few waves. I would recommend normal.

Normal is actually easier at the start as you have 1 more waves between the special waves, so more setup time. That said, the mission was designed for veteran players and you have to constantly keep expanding your economy and production lines.

Setting up a trade route on the sea is a good idea to make a lot of gold.
Sat42

Post by Sat42 »

Hi calsch03,
I hope to play your scenario in the near future (itching to get back to EE2 + AoS: will be in a new home from mid-April so hopefully soon enough!) and will provide feedback.
Just wanted to ask whether you created a new .AIP file for this? I read the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5321
I will absolutely need to try this for my scenario! I understand it can get tricky - but if you made this stuff work, I hope I can learn to achieve that too!
calsch03

Post by calsch03 »

Hello Sat42, for this mission I didn't create a custom AIP file. I use an existing aggressive.aip. Working with AIP's is tricky and I've not found a reliable way to use them without breaking the AI sometimes.

If you want an example of using a custom AIP, I can send you this mission I've made to test with it. Load it in the normal EE2 without the expansion.
Three Kingdoms Civil War.zip
(413.48 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Sat42

Post by Sat42 »

Thanks a lot for your reply calsch03, and for sharing that custom AIP along with associated SCN and IES!
So glad we have at least one working example to build on :P
I've had a look at the code, would like to ask a couple of questions for now (remember I can't test in-game at the moment):

- CITIZEN BEHAVIOUR: I don't understand why "Desired citizen task distributions for various numbers of citizens" includes a "gather" column which is always "0", and then we have a separate "Desired gatherer resource type distributions for various numbers of gatherers" which clearly indicates we don't have 0 gatherers. Anyway, aren't Citizen units actually Gatherer units? Just depends what they do - or wait, hang on: is this just an example of you modifying the script so your AI does not ever gather resources, but you just left the section on gatherer resource type distributions intact (no need to set any of that to 0, since you set 0 gatherers to begin with)?

- BUILD BEHAVIOUR: I see your "BuildListElement baseList[]" has no dock whatsoever. Isn't it possible to add it back in there and have it be set to "block?" = "NO"? If the map allows for docks that is? If the answer is yes, my question is why does skipping mentioning the dock work here? does that mean we can do that with any other building? wouldn't that lead to a game breaking bug? I thought the list had to account for every possible building of a given epoch - although to be fair, I never saw "farm", "road", "palisade" or "wall" in any example.
calsch03

Post by calsch03 »

CITIZEN BEHAVIOUR: The aip is based on a mission where the ai uses engineers instead of citizens.

BUILD BEHAVIOUR: I don't know how this works. Maybe you can try it out by editing the script.
Sat42

Post by Sat42 »

Ah OK, thanks for clarifying!
I forgot that this Three Kingdoms scenario uses engineers instead of citizens.
So since you managed to modify this aip file for custom use (without engine errors I imagine?), does that mean we can extract any aip file used by the official developers for the campaigns?
I note you previously said you'd also gone down the road of loading default skirmish, then civ specific AI, and finally your custom aip file to achieve a desired effect - maybe that can work for me too.

Return to “EE2 Files, Modding, Maps, Scenarios, Scripting, Testing, etc.”