Shift key remap or duplicate to other custome hotkey

ImageNeed any help? Do you have a problem? Ask us! We will help you!
NT10G2

Shift key remap or duplicate to other custome hotkey

Post by NT10G2 »

Hi All,

Is it possible to map the Shift Key to other key, or duplicate one more key to act as the Shift key does?

Reason:
I purchased a Numeric Keypad for this game for better navigation, zooming, and operate with the major hot keys, since my desk only suitable for a small keyboard that doesn't have the editing keys and numeric keys parts.

I place the new purchased numeric keypad on somewhere my left hand could reach it easily. The navigation and zooming operation could be done on it perfectly. But I hope to make it to archive one more thing, map a key to act as the Shift key does.

A little bit long. Sorry.

NT10G2

Re: Shift key remap or duplicate to other custome hotkey

Post by NT10G2 »

I have archive my hope by a little bit tricks.

Gaming grade Numeric Keypad + Microsoft PowerToys for Windows 10. Mapped the Clear key (5) as Shift. Turn the Num Lock to off and scrolling with the direction keys. The Clear key on it could act as Shift + direction for speeding scrolling. Then the Shift + click for units selection or 5-unit generating operation.

This solution is perfect.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Hi.

Your solution is the one I would recommend. A program for remapping a key in Windows does the job.

SHIFT is somehow hardcoded (unable to remap) in EE2. This key is used for actions like multi selection / building queue, so I suppose it would be complicated / buggy to remap it.

One question: Why did you need a numeric keyboard to scroll / zoom?
I personally use the arrow keys and rarely non-numeric + and - keys. For zooming in / zooming out, the mouse wheel should be much more comfortable.

I personally never use the num-pad part of the keyboard when I'm playing EE2. I scroll the camera using the left hand + arrows. There is a second SHIFT on the right, so I can also scroll faster.

With Unofficial Patch 1.5, there is "Middle Mouse Button Actions" feature. It makes the Launcher simulate certain key presses based on the Middle Mouse Button press state, mouse position changes, etc.
You can set this option to move the camera instead of rotating:
Middle Mouse Button Actions.png
Middle Mouse Button Actions.png (166.63 KiB) Viewed 2835 times

I don't use it myself (hard to get used), but maybe it's worth a try.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
NT10G2

Post by NT10G2 »

Sorry for late replay... It was a hard period of my life in 2021 summer to winter.

The reason of using an additional numeric keypad for Empire Earth 2 is it could be placed on left hand side on my desk. Therefore, I can use my left-hand to control direction scrolling and hold the Magic Key (Shift) while I want to operate "Shift + Click" during the busy battle hard time. You are right, mouse scroll wheel zooming is better than keyboard, but I can moving to any direction and zooming at the same time.

Since the additional numeric keypad "Join Game", I can keep a better sitting post during the game. Left and Right hand could be placed on better position for long hours battle.
These users thanked the author NT10G2 for the post:
Dr.MonaLisa

Return to “Help, Questions & Problems. Empire Earth II Support.”