EE2, EE2X - Empire Earth II - Unofficial Patch 1.6 (2014+)

ImageImageTalking about Modding for EE2 and EE2 AOS. New maps, patches, programs and Multiplayer scenarios.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Re: EE2, EE2X - Empire Earth II - Unofficial Patch 1.5 (2014+)

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Hi Sat. All if the listed things are only fixed in the normal version of UP1.5. This is because all of these fixes are in db_155.zip which doesn't have files like this on Developer's version. Unfortunately, for the Multilanguage support the normal version of UP1.5 uses a modified files structure for some files. In developers version we can not do that as keeping the old mods playable is the biggest priority.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains

Sat42

Post by Sat42 »

Understood Mona!
The listed stuff mentioned in this case doesn't matter too much for me (it isn't as bad as those bugged regional powers, for which you provided us with a manual fix for the legacy versions), yet for future reference, could you pinpoint these changes within db_155.zip? Like, could you name the files and paste the bit of code that got changed? Then whoever wishes to mod their legacy versions (like me :p ) can add those fixes.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

To be honest, it's a lot of files changed. Some sounds added to dbsounds.csv (aka dbsound5.csv and dbsound6.csv). The missing attack sound was fixed in each of affected .ddf files separately (in Units folder). The ICMB changes are in ammo.ddf (probably ammo_15.ddf in UP1.5), maybe somewhere else too (like defined in unitsattributes file). Maybe I added the fix as the area damage effect... That's a lot of thinking to get the proper fixes. I most likely left notes in edited files regarding which bug they resolve.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Sat42

Post by Sat42 »

Copy that, thanks for the help, will slowly go looking in those places to see what I can extract :)
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Hi Sat. I had some time to look at these changes now:
- Fixed an annoying bug (present since ver. 1.0) where ICBMs (or other ballistic missiles) were killed by the area damage from other units (even those without Anti-Missile ability).
- Fixed a bug after Minor Update 157028, where ICBMs, TBMs, etc. could be selected after they were launched. Players could for example delete them in air.
This is done in:
EE2: zips\db_155.zip\db\Visuals\ammo_15.ddf
AOS: zips_ee2x\EE2X_db.zip\Visuals\ammo_15.ddf

For example under: "UnitType ICBM"

Code: Select all

// @UP 157028: Mass must be 1 to fix a bug where area damage killed ICBMs
mass = 1
and also:

// @UP 157029 hotfix. They must be NotSelectable after update 157028:
attributes = [NotSelectable NotAffectedByWeather]
So as first we fix a bug where ICBMs could be killed by allied area damage, but then the unit becomes selectable, so we need to set a NotSelectable attribute. Update 157028 was very funny, because I could delete ICBMs in air.
- Fixed a bug (present since ver. 1.0) where on EE2: The Art of Supremacy, some units had no attack sound after Elite upgrade. Affected units: "Elite Objective Force Warrior" (epoch 15), "Elite Lancer" (epoch 8), "Elite Imperial Lancer" (epoch 10), "Elite Horse Archer" (epoch 6), "Elite Carabineer" (epoch 8), "Dragoon" (epoch 10), "Elite Mameluke" (epoch 6, Babylonian). Thanks for the report to player "kryso00".
As example unit you can check:
EE2X_db_155.zip\EE2X_db\Units\light_mounted1_15.ddf

// elite version. 05.05.2020, modified by Dr.MonaLisa to add a fix for missing attack sound: https://forum.ee2.eu/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5343
UnitModel LightMounted1_06e
{
	Parent		= LightMounted1_06v
	States 		= [
		{ 	StateName = Attack1	AnimName = sh_horse_archer_e_attack01.kf
			TextKeys = [ { Name = PLAY_SOUND Data = fx_bow_shoot_high KeyTime = 2.34} 
				     { Name = HIDE_NODE Data = arrow KeyTime = 0 }
				     { Name = SHOW_NODE Data = arrow KeyTime = 0.4 }
				     { Name = HIDE_NODE Data = arrow KeyTime = 2.34 }]
		}
			]
}
And a better example: viewtopic.php?p=25640#p25640
- Added a new stone throw sound for the missing attack audio of Bola Throwers (Inca's unique unit, epochs 1-5).
For example: EE2X_db_155.zip\EE2X_db\Units\UniqueUnit_Inca_15.ddf
Under: "UnitModel UniqueUnitInca1"

{ 	StateName = Attack1	AnimName = CIV1_BolaThrower_Incan_attack01.KF   
					TextKeys = [
					{ Name = PLAY_SOUND Data = fx_stone_thrower1 KeyTime = 2.1 }
					]
		}
fx_stone_thrower1 is defined in files: "EE2X_db_155.zip\EE2X_db\Audio\dbsoun5.csv" and "EE2X_db_155.zip\EE2X_db\Audio\dbsoun6.csv".
(dbsoun6 is for "Disabled 1.5 units switch)

fx_stone_thrower1,stone_thrower_15_01.mp3,1.0,0,6,0,1,1
And finally, the "stone_thrower_15_01.mp3" is in: zips\db_150.zip\Sounds\Effects\stone_thrower_15_01.mp3.
Note that mp3s inside db_150.zip are read by both: EE2 and AOS, so don't search for it inside zips_ee2x.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Sat42

Post by Sat42 »

Holy moly, thank you very much Mona!! This info is so welcome - I'm totally gonna be able to implement all these fixes now! :D

It's funny isn't it, how we come to care about details - but as a really-not-famous-at-all person said: "Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail." :mrgreen:
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Minor update 158014 has been released!

Update Type: Monthly Update. Changes: https://www.ee2.eu/patch/changes/#158014

- Delayed the debug message about the fixed game slowdown caused by the 'empty slot' bug by 2 in-game seconds in order to minimize the risk of game crash. Thanks for the report to player "KennetRP".
- Integrated calsch03's "The Roman Expedition" (Quest based scenario), with the EE2 AOS "Single Player" -> "Play Campaign" menu. Thanks for the map creation and scenario integration to Loewenherz. More information: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5483
- Included the new EE2 World map: "Made by Victor - Earth.map", created by "VictorZas". Details: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5478
- Fixed a bug where Hospital (1.5) could only set the rally point to the sea.
- Fixed an issue where version information was missing in the "Installation Validation Checking Tool" reports, if they were generated using the empireearth2 protocols.
- The "Backup & Restore" feature now stores an unique installation hash in filenames stored in the "Documents\Empire Earth II\UP15_ConfigurationBackups" folder. It helps identify backups in case when a user is synchronizing files between multiple computers.
- The option "Show information about unused EE2 files in the Documents folder" now also counts the number of files in "Documents\Empire Earth II\UP15_ConfigurationBackups" folder. The alert triggers when the number of files is greater than specified: "CustomFilesNumberCheckingUP15ConfigBackup=4999" with the custom configuration command in UP1.5 Settings.
- Added a few new audio taunts and changed the AOE3 taunts to be triggered on a1-a33 instead of 1-33. It's to prevent unnecessary discussion interruption.
- Addressed an issue in "Empire Earth II Playback (.e2s) to ChatLog Converter", where a list of players in game could contain junk data.

If you have got UP1.5.5+, you can update by clicking: empireearth2://FunctionMinorVersionInstall
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Little Lion

Post by Little Lion »

Doctor MonaLisa, it's really great to see folks like you improving the game, thumbs up 👍 I really appreciate it. Got a question though, if you don't mind:

I'd like to shrink the UI HUD panel at the bottom of the screen to say, around 90% of the original size because it's too big and I would like to see more of the action on the screen (I won't mind if I have to sacrifice the PIP window to achieve that).

I understand there's a fullscreen hotkey (CTRL-ALT-H) but I'd prefer the HUD to be accessible at all times so that I can constantly monitor my civ stats and access the unit commands.

Is there anything I can do on my end to shrink down the UI panel? Thank you for your kind attention & game on 😃
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Hi Little Lion.

Unfortunately, modding the UI seem to be very difficult.

In the Normal version of UP1.5 you could attempt to modify:
EE2: zips\db_155.zip\db\UI\dbwidget_ingam5.csv
AOS: zips_ee2x\EE2X_db_155.zip\EE2X_db\UI\dbwidget_ingam5.csv
(Using Notepad++, NOT Excel)

You can get the widgets names with the Debug Output Menu hotkey (CTRL+O).

The game is scaling the UI as for some 4:3 resolution, so it's impossible to just make the UI smaller with simple tweaks. Then, even if you somehow managed to reduce the height of the bottom UI, there would be a black space visible instead of the game screen. It's because it's hardcoded somewhere in the executable not to render on the area where the UI is supposed to be shown (for performance reasons). So, even if you improved it a little, the final result wouldn't allow to enjoy it.

I played with it for a while in order to add a support for the Ultra Wide screen resolutions, however I resigned quickly. Here's what I mean:
EE2_ScreenShot_2021-03-08_13.17.55.137.jpg
EE2_ScreenShot_2021-03-08_13.17.55.137.jpg (336.89 KiB) Viewed 23338 times
EE2_ScreenShot_2021-03-08_13.47.04.945.jpg
EE2_ScreenShot_2021-03-08_13.47.04.945.jpg (374.89 KiB) Viewed 23338 times
EE2_ScreenShot_2021-03-08_13.51.47.072.jpg
EE2_ScreenShot_2021-03-08_13.51.47.072.jpg (393.88 KiB) Viewed 23338 times
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Little Lion

Post by Little Lion »

Doc, thank you so much for your very detailed explanation and I am sorry to have put you through all the trouble.

It's ok to not be able to resize the panel. I've thought of an alternative way out for myself, though: If I use the fullscreen way of hiding the UI, would it be possible to not have the mouse cursor disappear?

That's because if I have a group of units already selected before going fullscreen, bringing out the mouse cursor again with a right-click causes the selected units to break formation & go to where the mouse cursor appears somewhere else - that's the reason why I hesitate to use the fullscreen (CTRL-ALT-H).

I understand that I can left-click first to prevent that, but in the heat of battle, it's easy to forget to do so, lol.

Return to “EE2 Files, Modding, Maps, Scenarios, Scripting, Testing, etc.”