EE1 - Empire Earth and Empire Earth: The Art of Conquest Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10 FIX

Modding, Map Editor, IES Scripting and Other Tutorials
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

EE1 - Empire Earth and Empire Earth: The Art of Conquest Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10 FIX

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

EE - Empire Earth and Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10

Empire Earth and it's expansion pack (The Art of Conquest) doesn't work good on Windows 8 / 8.1, however there are several ways to FIX all the problems with the game. This guide is copyrighted by: Dr.MonaLisa. You can copy the content of this guide to the other forums/websites, but please post a bibliography (the URL to the orginal topic):

Code: Select all

http://www.ee2.eu/t1707-ee1-windows-8-81-fix
If you're looking for Windows 8 / 8.1 FIX for Empire Earth II, please visit this website: http://forum.ee2.eu/t1603-ee2-win8
SOLUTION 1 - NeoEE Patch.
1. Download and install the newest version of NeoEE patch from: http://www.neoee.net/update

http://www.neoee.net/update
"NeoEE is the place where you can play Empire Earth 1 and its expansion The Art of Conquest together with hundreds of other players for free. Join our community and enjoy Empire Earth on the original lobby servers that once have been shut down by Sierra/Activision. Just install the patch and get right into the game!"
2. Your game should work fine, if it's not working, check SOLUTION 2.

SOLUTION 2 - Graphics bugs on Intel HD GPU.

* This solution will work only if you have got the second GPU from Nvidia.
* Go to Nvidia Control Panel, Click the right mouse button in a free place on your desktop, then select "NVIDIA Control Panel" from the list:

* Follow the numbers from screenshots:

1. Click on "Manage 3D settings";
2. Click on "Program Settings";
3. Click on "Add" button;
4. Find Empire Earth or/and Empire Earth: The Art of Conquest;
5. Click on the "Add Selected Program" button;
6. Click on the button under: "Select the preferred graphics processor for this program";
7. Select: "High-performance NVIDIA processor" from the list;
8. Click on the "Apply" button.
* If your game still doesn't work correctly, please check SOLUTION 3.

SOLUTION 3 - Changing graphics settings.
* It will work only if you are able to start Empire Earth (or Empire Earth: The Art of Conquest) with no error on startup.
1. Start Empire Earth or Empire Earth: The Art of Conquest.
2. Go to: "Game Settings".
3. Follow the orientation from the screenshot:

- Select "Direct3D Hardware TnL" from the list;
- Select the maximum possible screen resolution (with 32bits);
- Click on the "OK" button to save the changes.
NOTE: Your screen resolution won't be changed in the MENU, the new screen resolution will work only after game start (Single Player or Multiplayer).
* If you're still having problems with EE, please check SOLUTION 4.

SOLUTION 4 - Using another .EXE file (experimental).
* This solution solved my problem with Empire Earth, however I'm not sure if it really helps.
* You will need to have: Empire Earth: The Art of Conquest installed.
1. Download this .exe file:

http://adf.ly/n4lxO
2. Paste the new .exe file "EE-AOC - Win8.1 FIX (experimental).exe" to the folder where you installed Empire Earth: The Art of Conquest. Default it is: C:/Sierra/Empire Earth - The Art of Conquest;
3. Run file: "EE-AOC - Win8.1 FIX (experimental).exe" and change graphics settings described in SOLUTION 3.
4. Exit the game, and start the game from the normal NeoEE .exe file (EE-AOC.exe). The game should work fine.

SOLUTION 5 - Deleting "DX7HRDisplay.dll" and "DX7HRTnLDisplay.dll" from the System32 folder.
1. In Windows Explorer click on the: "View" tab and then check the "Hidden items" checkbox and the "File name extensions" checkbox.
2. Go to the "C:\Windows\System32" folder, and delete files:
* DX7HRDisplay.dll
* DX7HRTnLDisplay.dll
* binkw32.dll
* Mss32.dll
* Low-Level Engine.dll
Delete only if any of the listed above files exists in that folder. Remember: DO NOT delete those files from your EE1 installation folder.
3. Now the game should read *.dll files from your installation folder, instead of system32 directory.

SOLUTION 6 - Start the game using 3d-Analyzer.
1. Download and install 3d-Analyze http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/tools/3d_analyze/download/ (find  Size: 874KB Status: Not Archived and click the "save" icon).
2. Install/unpack the program to a folder on your Desktop (for example name it: 3DAnalyzer).
3. Start 3DAnalyze.exe as administrator, click the "Select" button, and then select a .exe file of Empire Earth 1 (or it's expansion pack), EE.exe (sometimes Empire Earth.exe) or EE-AOC.exe.
4. Check option: "Force max. pixel shader version 1.1", and click on the "RUN" button.
5. The game should start using the virtual graphics card, and graphics problems should be not present.
NOTE: If you can't start EE1 + NeoEE patch using 3D Analyze, try to re-install EE1, and this time don't install the NeoEE patch. Then try Solution 6 again.

----------------------
If your game is still not working, please check the "Windows Reliability Monitor" report: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/how-to-use-reliability-monitor
Find an error with "Empire Earth.exe" or "EE-AOC.exe" and then click on: "View technical details". Then paste a report in this topic.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains

Belougator

Re: EE1 - Empire Earth and Empire Earth: The Art of Conquest Windows 8 / 8.1 FIX

Post by Belougator »

Hello.

EE1 (only, not AOC), version 2.0 modified with neo, works good with windows 7(64 bits) and GeForce GT 540M. But with the new desktop : win 8.1 (64 bits) and GeForce GT 740M, same graphic bugs.

Soluce 1 and 2 tested without results.
Soluce 3 tested, but uncompatible with EE1 only !

Grrr ! I am sur that it is not only win 8.1 the trouble...
This old game is not really compatible with the new graphic cards !

Thanks for your help.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Re: EE1 - Empire Earth and Empire Earth: The Art of Conquest Windows 8 / 8.1 FIX

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Hi Belougator, thank you for your feedback.
Unfortunately for now I didn't find any other solution. It seems that there are many other problems, especially dependent on the graphics card model Image
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
jez3d

Post by jez3d »

Hi Dr.MonaLisa,

I've being trying to get my old EE1 AOC working today without avail.
After trying all solutions above I still get the same problem as seen in solution 2.
Should I try changing any of the inidual settings in the NVIDIA control panel?

I have pasted in the technical details from the reliability monitor below.

Running windows 8.1 with Geforce 840M

Thanks,
Jeremy

----------------------------------------------------

Source
EE-AOC.exe

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎8/‎12/‎2014 11:53 AM

Status
Solution available

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Sierra\Empire Earth - The Art of Conquest\EE-AOC.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: EE-AOC.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 3d6397f8
Fault Module Name: low-level engine.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 3d5d6afb
Exception Code: 80000003
Exception Offset: 00001a8f
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: 5cb9
Additional Information 2: 5cb9cac633ee69e1c2d269e25ae11481
Additional Information 3: 4d3e
Additional Information 4: 4d3eb1533c65a6e6748c2aa7e6a7b139

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 7e1951d299b50817743e5f713c1879a2 (233536317)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Source
Empire Earth.exe

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎8/‎12/‎2014 11:22 AM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Sierra\Empire Earth\Empire Earth.exe

Problem signature
Application Name: Empire Earth.exe
Application Timestamp: 3bc74cf2
Fault Module Name: DX7HRTnLDisplay.dll
Fault Module Timestamp: 3bc7466a
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00009851
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: 5861
Additional Information 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
Additional Information 3: 84a0
Additional Information 4: 84a09ea102a12ee665c500221db8c9d6

Bucket ID: b2e64f3244618b921786cf86217c9310 (216394487)
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

jez3d wrote:Hi Dr.MonaLisa,

I've being trying to get my old EE1 AOC working today without avail.
After trying all solutions above I still get the same problem as seen in solution 2.
Should I try changing any of the inidual settings in the NVIDIA control panel?

I have pasted in the technical details from the reliability monitor below.

Running windows 8.1 with Geforce 840M

Thanks,
Jeremy
Hi. If you selected to use NVIDIA GPU in EE1, and it still doesn't work, then I'm worrying there's no solution for now Image
The same problem was discussed in this topic: http://www.gog.com/forum/empire_earth_series/empire_earth_1_windows_81_nvidia_geforce_gt_740_graphical_issua

It might be NVIDIA drivers problem, so somebody should contact NVIDIA and ask them to check it Image
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
sherabpuntsok

Post by sherabpuntsok »

Hi MonaLisa,

My PC is HP Envy m6 with Windows 8.1, AMD Radeon HD 7600M Series, Intel HD Graphics 4000.

The Primary Display Adapter in EE-AoC's Game Setting is AMD Radeon HD 7600 Series Driver version 14.501.1003.0, secondary display adapter is Intel HD Graphics 4000 Driver version 10.18.10.3958.

I've been following your solutions to no avail. (from Solution 1 to Solution 5.)

When trying Solution 4, the screen switching between EE-AoC and normal Desktop display frequently. Making me hard to catch the click on Game Settings button.

Most of the time the screen is flickering like that in Solution 2.

The following is my View technical details:

Source
EE-AOC.exe

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎4/‎05/‎2015 10:35 p.m.

Status
Solution available

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Sierra\Empire Earth - The Art of Conquest\EE-AOC.exe

Problem signature
Application Name: EE-AOC.exe
Application Timestamp: 594d0000
Fault Module Name: low-level engine.dll
Fault Module Timestamp: 3d5d6afb
Exception Code: 4000001f
Exception Offset: 00001a8f
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.100
Locale ID: 5129
Additional Information 1: fb5a
Additional Information 2: fb5ab33a5298bc26004f1211ea5c63d8
Additional Information 3: b5ac
Additional Information 4: b5acaa8d47c1ed75e59118b11a53f9fe

Bucket ID: 1423bbfc1857dfdfe42368117a3b9c1c (329220653)

Any idea on how to fix this?
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Hi sherabpuntsok.
Unfortunately I don't know any other solution for now Image

I got an additional question: When you're using the .exe from the SOLUTION 4 the game is not crashing at all? Just the graphics bug?

Have you maybe tried to set your AMD card to be used in EE1 (by AMD Graphics Control Panel)? I know that you said that the right graphics card is displayed in game settings, but maybe the game just reads the "main" adapter name, while was launched using another GPU.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Phillbert

Post by Phillbert »

Hello,
I have been on a nostalgia kick lately and really want to play Empire Earth and the expansion again. I have two computers I'm trying to install it on. The first is a custom desktop I built, got it installed, plays great, very happy. I used the patch from suggestion number 1. Alls good. The other computer however, is giving me issues.
It's my girlfriend's Asus laptop, Intel i5 CPU, intel graphics. I installed the games, exactly the same way got them working, went to settings and upped the resolution to her screens max. I closed the game to make the settings take, then reopened it. Instead of running, I was greeted with the splash for about a second, then crash with a message about how the .exe has stopped working.
Hours of uninstalling, reinstalling, nothing has helped. I assume that if I can delete or edit the config file, then I can at least run it in less than max resolution, which is fine with me. However, I have no idea where it is. Its not in appdata, not in either of the install folders (base game or expansion.) I have researched and researched and come up empty handed. If you could let me know, I'd really appreciate it.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Hi Phillbert.
I'm not sure if I'm right (I haven't got EE1 installed), but those settings are probably stored in the Windows Registry.

Click logowin+r on that laptop (or find "Run..." in the start menu), then type: regedit, and press ENTER. In the registry click CTRL+F (searching window), and type: Empire Earth. It can take a while to find the first result. Keep pressing F3 to show the next results. Maybe you will find something with screen resolution.

If you still can't find anything, maybe ask the NeoEE guys, here: http://www.neoee.net/guest/index.php?page=1 (they should know where EE1 stores such settings).
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Phillbert

Post by Phillbert »

I actually already did delete them (they were in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Sierra) I just didn't think to mention it. I will try the other site. Thank you so much, I appreciate it.

Return to “Tutorials”