Camera settings in UP 1.6

ImageNeed any help? Do you have a problem? Ask us! We will help you!
Bogdan

Camera settings in UP 1.6

Post by Bogdan »

Hello Mona!
I'm glad the Unofficial Patch project continues to grow! I also hope your eyes will get better.

One thing that UP 1.6 broke for me is my camera settings. Previously I used "No (keep new camera)" for camera and the game utilized my own settings in myconfig.cfg
I have nothing against UP camera, it's just more convenient for me to see in other angles.

Unfortunately, after update both "No" and "No (keep new camera)" give me standard UP camera settings. Replacing config files didn't help.
I saw

Code: Select all

//Do not change FOV as UP1.6 automatically adjusts FOV for your aspect ratio. See changelog for details and how to disable it.
warning, but I didn't change FOV parameter.

Is it intended behaviour?

Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Re: Camera settings in UP 1.6

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

No, nothing was changed with cameras. Everything works the same way as before.

It's possible that you checked option "Update and reset UP1.6 Configuration File (UnofficialVersionConfig.txt) during the installation of 1.6, and it removed some of the custom commands you added before.

You can disable AutoFOV following that update changelog: https://ee2.eu/patch/changes/#159003
However, FOV is not something that changes the camera angles or distances.

CamFixAutoFOVEnabled=0
The other possibility is, that you used option DontCheckCamFixStatus before.

DontCheckCamFixStatus=1
Described in:
viewtopic.php?p=20152#p20152
viewtopic.php?p=20337#p20337
viewtopic.php?p=24809#p24809

Unofficial Patches were designed to be fail-safe for users. This is why the Launcher has "healing" possibilities where incorrect settings are being restored. It's better for 90% of users who wouldn't even know how to open a .cfg file with Notepad.

I remember the DontCheckCamFixStatus=1 command was described before on the ee2.eu/help page. I'm not sure why this line is gone now.

I think the better idea will be if I finally create a full list of available custom configuration commands. It's like 5x more things than visible in UP1.5 Settings, and might be interesting for advanced users.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
Bogdan

Post by Bogdan »

Well, I didn't know about this command, so I doubt I used it before – when I first used the Patch, it already had this 'keep new camera' option.
I was able to revert my settings today by clearing UP cache once again and editing myconfig.cfg manually.
So, in my case I only use 3 rows for MAINCAM:

MAXDIST 60
MINPITCH 5
KNEEPITCH 10
And it works again as I expect.
Thanks for help anyway
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

I'm 99% sure that the Launcher will overwrite your settings after every "Clear Cache" click, or any Minor Update installation.

In your case "DontCheckCamFixStatus=1" is needed, and it was inserted before, if your config file was not automatically reverting back. Possibly some old version used this variable automatically and it remained included in UnofficialVersionConfig.txt, but it was not expected behavior after fresh UP installation.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Bogdan

Post by Bogdan »

I cleared the cache now, but my settings remain in place. AND previously (after UP 1.6 update) I entered DontCheckCamFixStatus=0 , so...
Let's see if camera settings will be reset after any next update
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

I don't remember how exactly it works, but it must be auto-checked by the Launcher, otherwise switching between Disabled/Enabled units would be problematic for players.

It's possible that the auto-fixing step is done on the first-launch after update installation. It's also possible that it only checks for the existence of the parameters instead of their values, and this allows to keep different ones in myconfig.cfg file. However, as I said earlier, these files are supposed to be modified by Launcher when needed, and the switch for preventing it exists with the "DontCheckCamFixStatus=1" option. So it's up to you what you choose for modding, but officially if this file changes, it's 100% expected behavior in Unofficial Patch.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Bogdan

Post by Bogdan »

Thanks for clarifying, I will use this command then.
My camera tastes are very... singular 🙂
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

I'm not sure what camera settings you use, but the AutoFOV update literally restored the vanilla zooms at low-medium distances, and still allowed the "plane view" at the maximum distance. And a cherry on a cake is the actual AutoFOV which setts some values automatically, depending on screen resolution and the aspect ratio to remove the fisheye effect. So basically every player gets the best possible camera settings out of the box. I don't think users should modify something that was improved to nearly perfection. It's sometimes better to learn the updated camera than restore the one you are used to, because it might bring many other issues, such as the mentioned fisheye effect, wrong volumes fading out at further distances, etc. So my tip is to give a chance to the camera from the AutoFOV update, by playing a few games with it, and then deciding if it's worse or better. If you always restore the things you have in habits, then you'll never get improved experience :)
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs

Return to “Help, Questions & Problems. Empire Earth II Support.”