EE2X 1.5 Pazific Campaign Development blog

Preview of Unreleased Content and Users Work
Loewenherz

EE2X 1.5 Pazific Campaign Development blog

Post by Loewenherz »

I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.

Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

--------- Introduction ---------

The devastating attack at Pearl Harbor left the
United States struggling to reestablish a military presence in the
Pacific. America faced battle-hardened Japanese forces which had been
operating with relative impunity. But the "sleeping giant" soon awoke.
The United States - along with British, Australians, and New Zealanders -
began a relentless effort to push the Japanese back to their home
shores. Lead the Allied forces all the way from the Battle of Midway to
the brutal sands of Iwo Jima.

---------- Statistics --------------

This Thread is around my work to a Pacific Campaign for EE2 The art of Supremacy. She is in: DELEVOPMENT

Maps: 60 %

Scripts: 0 %

Voiceover: 100 %

Text: 90 %

Pictars: 0 %

Campaign Integration: 0 %

3D: 60%

In UP 1.5: No

--------- Words from the Developer -------------

After pausing development for a few reasons, I am resuming it. Among other things, patch 1.5 now has a very strong basis for creating wonderful scenarios with Amb2. But also the possibility to create 3D models has improved for me.

Of course, it will take a while until the exclusive campaign for 1.5 is released, but I will try to post news here in the thread from time to time and present exciting details. Depending on how much time I have, I hope to be finished by the end of the year.

I would like to point out that I develop privately. So there is no guarantee when and if the work will appear. Together with Dr. Mona Lisa, I am very happy to develop new content for EE2, but of course there is no obligation and we all still have a real life. ^^

----------- Pics ----------------------------

List of tutorials, useful threads and utilities (look here before posting): Here

Add Pics to Map: viewtopic.php?f=54&p=25184#p25184

Loews Work: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5160
These users thanked the author Loewenherz for the post:
Dr.MonaLisa

Loewenherz

Developer diary 1.6 - Loew - Ambiente Pack 1

Post by Loewenherz »

Hello, my name is Loewenherz and I have been involved in the development of EE2 1.6 for some time now.
I would like to share with you the creation and development of EE2 content and the many improvements and enhancements that have been made along the way.

I also think it's a good idea to document what I'm currently doing to make the material more accessible to others and to show where I'm at in the development process. Of course everything takes time and we have to do it all in our spare time, so it can take a while until I'm finished with my projects for EE2, but so far good progress has been made. Of course, there's no guarantee that everything will be finished, but I'm optimistic. I'll be finished before the first person sets foot on Mars. We are also starting the groundwork today.

My goal is to create new campaigns for EE2 1.6. While Mona takes care of everything technical, I try to improve the content of the game. My first diary entry will tell you about my ambience pack, which is now heading towards its final state.

- What is the ambiente pack?

In my opinion, a crucial point of criticism was the lack of assets for the editor. There were only a handful of bushes, trees, a pile of stones, a few pebbles that seriously block the construction of buildings, a few fish to catch, the usual resources and a few animals. No matter how hard I tried, I didn't get very far and every map was doomed to look generic. And this in a game that wanted to depict the entire earth and all eras of humanity, including its future. There was a great need for action here.

- What did you orientate yourself on when creating the database for the ambiente system?

Actually, Empire Earth 3. We all know that the game is the lacklustre low point of the series. But it has a number of interesting ideas, one of which was to offer 3D models in different sizes in the editor. Which makes sense, because in nature, bushes and rocks are rarely the same size. While the size of the surrounding objects is calculated randomly in EE3, this is unfortunately not possible in EE2.

I have therefore entered the rocks and bushes in up to six different sizes as objects in the editor. This makes the list quite long. On the other hand, this offers more variance and allows more creative freedom when creating.

EE3 has beautiful models, so I have taken over a large part of the EE3 assets, which should not be a problem. ^^

- How are the new environment objects handled?

That was not so easy. Empire Earth 2 only recognises objects that take up space in the game in some way. This meant that a little flower or a small stone would immediately block the construction of a city centre. I spent a lot of time fiddling around with how to solve this problem. The result was a certain minus number which meant that the game didn't actually calculate any real measurable area blocking any buildings, walls or roads during construction. The only downside was that it made units discover objects even earlier through the fog of war. It was exhausting and took several attempts before I found a good intermediate value that was a good compromise for both sides. It neither blocked the movement of units nor the construction of buildings.

The next challenge was that I wanted all units to be able to be placed in the editor without restrictions. Thanks to Mona, I developed a new system. In the first step, the units are calculated by the engine as a kind of animal. This allows them to be rotated as well as placed anywhere on the map. This enables completely new types of map positioning that did not previously exist in EE2. Afterwards, they are calculated as normal environment objects in the actual game, just as they should be. Thanks to this trick, you have maximum freedom when designing. As you can see, you need a good dose of imagination to get the maximum out of the EE2 engine, despite the usual limitations of not having the source code, and yet a lot has already been achieved. This can be seen from the fact that the Ambiente Pack has reached a code size of almost 25,000 lines.

In the next part of the developer diary, I will present the individual components of the environment system. Until then, all the best, Loew.
List of tutorials, useful threads and utilities (look here before posting): Here

Add Pics to Map: viewtopic.php?f=54&p=25184#p25184

Loews Work: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5160

Return to “Spotlight”