Empire earth 2 supply lines

Discussion About Modding, Changes Ideas, etc.
brunopinto90

Empire earth 2 supply lines

Post by brunopinto90 »

Hello guys,

I want to create the notion of supply lines/logistics. Men and machines need ammo, fuel, food, etc. This would give more meaning to conduct encirclements, Blitzkrieg, etc.

There are ways to implement this idea. One can use trucks or horses to travel from a supply depot to the front lines and replenish supply like medics heal troops.

Another implementatiom could be based on the number of city centers. The more you have the more supplies you get.

In both implementstions, roads are very meaningfull.

I know we can triggers and events with scripts, which could be a very nice way to do this. Like spawn trucks every couple minutes and replenish.

I really like empire earth, but also love war logistics. Combining them would be awesome.

What do you think?

Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Re: Empire earth 2 supply lines

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Sorry for late reply. I didn't want to reply "quick" from the phone, and then forgot about this topic.

I like all ideas as they usually show the creativity of our community, however I personally wouldn't jump to such a high water. The engine in EE2 is modding-friendly, but not enough to support things like this. For example, your idea could only be applied to the custom scenario, because .IES scripts can't be executed / added to every started Skirmish game (unless I am not aware of some method).

What could only work is doing such things using the area effects file. However, these effects can often cause performance degradation in game, so it needs to be done carefully, and every single change tested.

For example, in UP1.5 Radars and Anti-missile units / buildings have a low range (0 or 1), which dynamically changes when incoming missiles are detected. It's because there's a "bug" (or simply a bad optimization in game), that if many units have a long range with missile interception ability, then the FPS decreases a lot, and game slows down terribly.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains

Return to “Discussion”