Trees and Frame Rates

Modding, Map Editor, IES Scripting and Other Questions
PaulStretch

Trees and Frame Rates

Post by PaulStretch »

In 1.5, the camera allows you to zoom in to a very shallow angle, which is great, but if you look in a direction with a lot of trees, there is a noticeable fps drop, even with animations disabled. Just curious if there is a way to reduce this fps drop caused by trees. I've considered replacing the tree models with lower poly models, and even replacing trees with tree clusters (ie. a tree resource consists of 6 trees instead of 1, thus reducing the number of individual entities on the map.) I'm curious if anyone knows if changes like these would make a difference. I pretty sure the root problem is the game doesn't cull objects unless they are behind the camera. This isn't a huge problem; it's just making me consider if the Min angle on Max zoom should be increased.

Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Re: Trees and Frame Rates

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Are you modding on the normal EE2 or the expansion pack, AOS?

Generally, the FPS problems in EE2 are normal: https://ee2.eu/help/#lags

I would recommend to play on highest graphics, except Shadows (Low or Medium) or lighting (Low). Lowering graphic won't make any difference, as it's the CPU core being "busy" in EE2, and graphics card usage isn't 100%.

One more thing to check would be "Anti-Aliasing" option in UP1.5 Settings. It was enabled by default in some versions (currently disabled by default). It can reduce performance on certain computers, but generally improves the graphics quality a lot. You should check if it's by any chance enabled for you.

I think the core problem is the amount of details in tree models. The same thing happens with some ships or when there are many other units on the map. I guess this is just how EE2 is. it can be partially fixed by... investing in gaming processors, like 5Ghz+.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
These users thanked the author Dr.MonaLisa for the post:
PaulStretch

Return to “Questions”