map editor season cycle

Modding, Map Editor, IES Scripting and Other Questions
Andrekk

map editor season cycle

Post by Andrekk »

Hi all! I finally achieved to create good quality maps with the editor but I have a problem with season cycle. I play ee2 AoS and I only use maps to play on skirmish. The problem is that I can't enable the season cycle when I play. Does anybody know something about this?

Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Re: map editor season cycle

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

What do you mean by "can't enable"? I thought seasons cycle is active by default.

Does seasons preview (in map editor) work for you? Like when you set December, can you see snow on the terrains?
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
Andrekk

Post by Andrekk »

I mean that when I start the game in the map I created there's no season's cycle because the month is always the same. the bar where is written the month never gets filled with the red line progression. In the map editor season preview works.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Could you please attach a screenshot of the Environment tab of the game setup screen (the one where you set things up before game start)?
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Andrekk

Post by Andrekk »

Imageof course.

Added after 2 minutes 11 seconds:
season cycle works well with game generated maps but it doesn't work only in the maps edited by me
Attachments
EE2_ScreenShot0.jpg
EE2_ScreenShot0.jpg (187.19 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Hmmm I'll try to test tomorrow (in bed now), but you can try one more thing.
Shut down EE2. Go to folder C:\Users\YourName\Roaming\Sierra\Empire Earth 2 The Art of Supremacy\settings
Rename file "settings.cfg" to "settings.cfg.old". Start game and test.

You might need to "show hidden files and folders" in Windows Explorer settings to access that folder.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Andrekk

Post by Andrekk »

I did it but nothing changed! anyway thanks for help! the odd thing is that the season cycle doesn't work also in the maps edited by other players and avaiable in the 1.5 patch, so I don't understand if u guys can play those maps correctly with the months going on.
Also the problem only occurs with AoS: I tried EE2 and the season cycle with edited maps works well. This problem is only in the expansion.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Hello again.

I tested, and you're right. For some reasons the Seasons Cycle doesn't work on EE2: AOS, and also the starting season is always Summer, even when Winter is selected.
I tested it also on the official version 1.0 of AOS, and the same problem occurs. Unfortunately, fixing it might be impossible and for now it's not a priority thing, especially when there are not many AOS maps available.

I noticed that loading the EE2 map (Battle of Nile) works on AOS and also seasons are working. Maybe it's a good thing to test when you get a chance.

EDIT:
Seems like AOS remembers seasons applied by the "Preview Seasons" in the map editor. When you apply settings, then game will start from the selected month, but still will not cycle :(
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Sat42

Post by Sat42 »

Why would fixing this be hard? I intend to make scenarios for AoS so yeah :/

The problem "seems" to be absent from the 1.2 AoS (GOG edition), at least with campaign maps and random skirmishes.
In normal 1.5, the "Survival Egypt" scenario starts in June but cycles the seasons.

Added after 19 minutes 34 seconds:
EDIT
Damn no - even in AoS 1.2, even the official campaigns all start in June and seasons do not cycle!! (only random skirmishes work as intended) the base EEII game is fine (some campaign scenarios start in January, September etc. but all cycle), but AoS has stuff like the Russian campaign which should begin (according to story) with the 1st scenario in December - I definitely remember screenshots of the Russian campaign in a review of AoS and there was snow, link: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_artofsupremacy_pc - but here in practice the scenario starts in June and again no cycling :(

What went wrong? There MUST have been a version of AoS that worked correctly, otherwise how do you get the snow in the Russian campaign?? (see link)

EDIT 2:
Maybe I should make a clean install and check? I know that while I have separate installs for 1.2 GOG, normal 1.5 and Devs 1.5, in practice if I play normal 1.5 with 1.5 units ON , it then affects somehow AoS 1.2 because then clicking on the campaign menu crashes the game, and is only resolved by launching normal 1.5 with 1.5 units OFF (and no new camera), and then launching AoS 1.2 and campaign menu opens without crashing out.
I saw this "interaction" also by testing EE4 mod which theoretically has a completely separate install, but again after playing EE4 mod, I launched normal 1.5 and light details was suddenly set to low (so it somehow took the setting of what I had to do for EE4, despite separate installs).
Going off for the week-end so will test later, but I'll follow replies here.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

By hardcoded I mean that it was changed in the .exe file, so no easy way to detect where they skip seasons check, etc.
Maybe I should make a clean install and check? I know that while I have separate installs for 1.2 GOG, normal 1.5 and Devs 1.5, in practice if I play normal 1.5 with 1.5 units ON , it then affects somehow AoS 1.2 because then clicking on the campaign menu crashes the game, and is only resolved by launching normal 1.5 with 1.5 units OFF (and no new camera), and then launching AoS 1.2 and campaign menu opens without crashing out.
I saw this "interaction" also by testing EE4 mod which theoretically has a completely separate install, but again after playing EE4 mod, I launched normal 1.5 and light details was suddenly set to low (so it somehow took the setting of what I had to do for EE4, despite separate installs).
Going off for the week-end so will test later, but I'll follow replies here.
New campaigns add entries to users.cfg file. When switching to older version of EE2/AOS it crashes, because users.cfg has missing campaigns entries.
This is fully fixed if always using the 1.5 Launcher to start game. The launcher takes care of users.cfg file to not crash when switching installations. However, when when we start ver 1.2 without the Launcher, some entries might be still present in that file. So a solution is starting the normal 1.5 before 1.2. No need to disable units or stuff, just to start it and not enter the campaign menu.

For the Lighting Details, they don't get reset automatically. The launcher asks to change them:
DamnLightDetailTitle = WindowTitles + "- Lighting Detail";
DamnLightDetailsMsg = "WARNING: The Unofficial Version 1.5 launcher has detected that the lighting details (in graphics settings) are set to Medium or High. It's recommended to change the lighting detail to Low to prevent random game crashes and improve game performances. Would you like to fix the graphics settings now? If you click \"YES\" the lighting detail will be set to Low.\n\nIf you do not want to receive warnings about Lighting Detail, please start file \"UnofficialVersionConfig.vbs\" from the Empire Earth II installation folder, and add the following value to the \"insert a custom configuration command\" field:\nIgnoreLightingDetailWarnings=1";
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs

Return to “Questions”