EE2, EE2X - Empire Earth II - Unofficial Patch 1.6 (2014+)

ImageImageTalking about Modding for EE2 and EE2 AOS. New maps, patches, programs and Multiplayer scenarios.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Re: EE2, EE2X - Empire Earth II - Unofficial Patch 1.5 (2015)

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Information about minor update: 153006:

Some days ago, I've released a minor update called: 153006.
This is an optional update for Empire Earth II, but important for Empire Earth II: The Art of Supremacy (expansion pack).
What means "important"? Important means that some game files (not only the launcher) have been updated, so there might be compatibility problems when trying to join  multiplayer games. That's why all players who play the multiplayer mode on Empire Earth II: The Art of Supremacy should install minor update 153006.
The minor update can be downloaded here:

Code: Select all

deleted, the launcher will ask you for it
or here:

deleted, the launcher will ask you for it
Due to several minor update problems, I haven't enabled information about this update on the server - so the game won't ask to update before start.

Changes/Fixes in minor update 153006:
- Fixed a EE2: The Art of Supremacy bug where Transport Aircraft was invisible in airport,
- Added a new configuration option "MyNicknameIs=[id]Nickname[/id]" for UnofficialVersionConfig, which sets to use selected nickname in the Multiplayer games (it will help to bypass LAN programs nickname limitations).
----------------------------------------------------------

Earlier I have released an optional update 153005,
Changes/Fixes in minor update 153005:
- Fixed "hanging" problems with the Configuration Utility, Maximization Helper and Custom Screen Resolution Generator,
- Fixed the "high CPU load" bug after Maximization Helper's chat was closed.

So if someone was experiencing problems described above - it should be fixed for now.

Older, important minor updates:
Changes/Fixes in minor update 153000-153003:
- Fixed Two Unhandled Exception crashes:
* Flags: 00210206h  (caused by missing birds death animation, not a 1.5 bug);
* Flags: 00210246h  (caused by TBM launchers).
- Restored "UFO" attack ability (disabled in minor update 153001 due to 00210206h crashes).
- Updated Launcher files, added the following features:
* Unhandled Exception crashes will be reported automatically to Dr.MonaLisa;
* It will be possible to upload playbacks with unhandled exceptions to the lab;
* The launcher is checking if EE2 is running in a compatibility mode, and if yes then warns user to not use the compatibility mode.
- Added Large Address Aware support (disabled by default, you can enable in UnofficialVersionConfig.txt).
(Large Address Aware is an executable flag that tells Windows that a program can handle more than 2GiB of memory. Use it only if you have got 4GB+ of the RAM memory. This option might improve game performance and prevent "not enough memory" crashes).

Changes/Fixes in minor update 153004:
- Added the "Maximization Helper":
* The Helper will start automatically if your OS is Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10+;
* The Helper helps you to solve maximization problems with game;
* It has a built-in Chat, so you can easly get help, when needed;
* Fixes Windows 10 build 9926+ maximization problem (please use Solution 1).
- Improved Fixes for Unhandled Excepton crashes,
- Improved the "Configuration Utility" (UnofficialVersionConfig.vbs):
* Added an option to run EE2 in Windowed Mode;
* Added an option to enable / disable Large Address Aware.

---------------------------------
Now some explanation why there are so many minor updates in such a short time:
I decided to myself that version 1.5.3 must be VERY stable, and every single bug should be fixed immediately (when it's possible). In version 1.5.3 I added the crash reporting system, which asks players to upload playbacks with crashes when it's needed. Thanks to that I checked many playbacks (game recordings) files, and I was able to prepare fixes for ~3 unhandled exception crashes. Another reason (of minor update 153004) was a release of the new Windows 10 preview build. Seems like EE2 has more problems on Windows 10 than I expected. The new build of Windows 10 was released shortly before 153004 update, that's why I couldn't prepare fixes earlier. It would be simply impossible. The Maximization Helper (feature added in 153004) seems to work fine, and the built-in chat system allows players to be in touch with me at any time. Thanks to the statistics system I knew that we have got some Windows 10 users already (~350 in February). It would be sad to force them to wait for another "big update", while fixes were prepared already. My opinion is: If minor updates are released quickly, then less players install "invalid" versions (not really invalid, but not the perfect one). So then all new players who download the patch will use the most stable version. It's better to fix everything "after release", than prepare some big updates every X months, because nobody likes those updates, some people are still using slow internet connections, and those updates are killing the multiplayer community. So for now: if it's needed, I'll be releasing "optional" updates of the UP1.5 Launchers that don't force players to update in order to be able to join multiplayer games. I hope I explained why we had those minor updates, and people will be not longer angry on me for that (yeah I know that for most of you it's ridiculous that some players actually hate updates which make this game better...)
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains

Warhead77777

Post by Warhead77777 »

One thing thing that bothered me about EE2 is that the Main Battle Tank says it has a 122mm gun and ERA, but it's clearly an Abrams rip.

Is the mod ever going to fix that text so that it stops being confusing?

Also, the machine-gunner claims to have a tri-pod belt fed HMG, but it looks like a BAR or a RPK depending on nation.

So mainly just text-edits for the most part.

Oh and if it's not to much of a bother, I wonder if it would be possible to have the Mideast and Asian regions use a mix of what they have, plus the African RPK model. So swapping out the arms and gun, with some minor recoloring? It sounds complex, but hopefully it won't be.

Just some ideas.

I love the Sniper and scout drone, they are pretty useful.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

@Warhead77777
Unfortunately texts won't be fixed. It's because of the Multi-language support. It's dangerous to edit any ver. 1.2 files, because of the compatibility (players on Multiplayer wouldn't be able to join each other, etc.). So it's better to keep it as it was originally, but of course you can change it yourself if you are not playing on multiplayer. Texts files are in zips/db.zip/Texts(?) (can't remember exactly now, my laptop is in a service).

Same thing with the models re-coloring. First I don't think they're backward compatible (for example AOS model would not work with the normal EE2), and all changes in the unofficial patch should be applied to both - EE2 and EE2: AOS.

From the planned changes in the next update:
https://www.facebook.com/eearth2/posts/895517590490869
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
lordoflinks

Post by lordoflinks »

When I try to play a custom map it crashes the game with your patch, how would I avoid this?
Also how would I rescale all human units?
Thank You
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Hi. What custom map crashes, and when? Remember that if you're playing EE2: AOS, then you should select only maps titled [EE2: AOS], all other maps are for vanilla version of EE2 and they'll crash on The Art of Supremacy (expansion pack).

I don't know any easy solution to rescale human units Image You probably have to edit all .ddf files in the zips/db.zip. Also read file: "config.cfg" from your EE2 folder (open it with notepad), maybe you will find something to rescale human units.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
lordoflinks

Post by lordoflinks »

Thank you, was trying to launch them in AoS.
Also the new launcher is fantastic.
Thank you for all your work!
gnleugim

Post by gnleugim »

Hi Dr.Monalisa

First of all, great job! I haven't downloaded the last patch as I am with my work laptop, only latter when I get home I'll get to my desktop I'll get my hands on it, but surely will be awesome Image

I have some suggestions that, given my past experience in modding in EE2, I know are fairly easy to implement and I think they would improve the game a bit.

fist, most (if not all) of your new buildings are lacking base decals, so they are just standing in grass/dirt. they could have decals assigned to them and make them look better in game IMO. custom decals are possible IIRC but would be a bit more laborious. you can instead some of the existing ones.

Some buildings have odd sizes, some very tall, some very wide. for example, the first hospital is incredibly high! I think it could be lower, scaled down to the size of other buildings. Probably, a new model would be need. If you want I can try to make new one(s), I've done it before. Other case is the radar tower. the size of it changes a lot across the ages. if you look at the original buildings they all have the same layout, and just change a bit to fit the new ages.

is there any plans to add new units?? Back in the days, I was trying to add a new set of UU for all civs, so each age would have 3 UU at each 5 epoch period. then, due to some technical issues I dropped the project (with only Romans having 3 "UU" Image ), but I still think it would be a nice idea, or maybe with less units.

also, do you meddle with game's dlls? if you do, is there any chance to change the way garrison troops affect the garrisoned building?? like increasing attack speed or number of shoots?

Let me know if you have any interest on these ideas and if you would like my help for anything (for these or other ideas).

Best Regards,

GnL
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Thanks for your tips gnleugim.
I personally hate the "modding" part in the patches, that's why it's not so perfect. I focus mostly on the crash detection and C++ Launcher.

Some of buildings look bad with the "under texture" (like windmill, water tower) - that's why they don't have it. In 1.5.4 (which should be released within 2 weeks) there is a new building: St. Basil's Cathedral. I had to reduce the model a little bit, because the game was lagging horribly during building. That's why now the build effect won't work (the construction won't be shown, just darker model).

Hospital: Comparing to the other buildings it's big, but comparing to a citizen - it looks realistic. I changed this hospital size to fit with the unit type of epoch 15 model.
I agree that the models are not perfect, and some of them are ugly - but people were asking me to add those buildings / units, so it's better than nothing. Radar has a scale specified to SizeX/Y. The one in epoch 13 is very tall, but it's because it looked bad when it was smaller.
is there any plans to add new units?
Unfortunately not. Only 2 new units in 1.5.4 (Air Force One and St. Basil's Cathedral). I decided to stop the "modding" part to focus on the other things (mostly unhadled exception crashes). Also some people (usually on Multiplayer) don't like the new stuff, and keep they're complaining. Of course there is an option in the patch configuration utility to disable all new units and buildings in game, but people will always find reasons to cry for... no reasons Image Anyway, it's better when the other people make mods (like the popular EE4 and Ralistic Mod). There is a special version of 1.5 with unchanged files structure: http://forum.ee2.eu/t1731-development-diary-ee2-ee2x-unofficial-patch-1-5-a-version-of-up1-5-for-modders so every old mod will work with it.

For the unique units: the idea is good, but it's too problematic. It's a big pain to import any model to .nifcache (apart you need to find a model first, re-edit in 3Ds max and the other sh*t).
so, do you meddle with game's dlls? if you do, is there any chance to change the way garrison troops affect the garrisoned building?? like increasing attack speed or number of shoots?
No dlls at all. You know, the game is compiled so it's hard to change anything. However I sucessed with some really important things by HEX edition (screen resolutions, disabled checksum checking in MP games, changed flying height of ICBMs, etc.).
About the "garrisoned effect" - it will be impossible, since only existing functions can be modified a little bit, but it will be impossible to add effects.

Again thanks for your post.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
gnleugim

Post by gnleugim »

Hey,

Some of buildings look bad with the "under texture" (like windmill, water tower) - that's why they don't have it. In 1.5.4
maybe what they need are new custom textures for them Image

I agree that the models are not perfect, and some of them are ugly - but people were asking me to add those buildings / units, so it's better than nothing.
I'll take a look into it and try to make good looking buildings, and if you like, you can use them Image  I'm sure I can do them as the only issue I had back then was with animations (it took me like 2 weeks to get a wagon to had it's wheels moving correctly Image ), but static buildings are easy. Just need some inspiring moments  Image   Image
For the unique units: the idea is good, but it's too problematic. It's a big pain to import any model to .nifcache (apart you need to find a model first, re-edit in 3Ds max and the other sh*t).
For this part I used some of the models from EE4 and/or other games, with little to no changes. Image Image

I had no idea there was this version for mods, I am playing 2 game versions and fell the lack of the resolution and stuff on the modded one, glad to know this!

And it's a shame nothing can be done about the garrison-able buildings, would be more realistic to have either increased attack speed or number of ammunition shot at same time as garrison increases than to have it's dmg increased IMO.

best,

GnL
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

it took me like 2 weeks to get a wagon to had it's wheels moving correctly
For more wheels, I made a "50 wheels" animation:

http://www7.zippyshare.com/v/SRFJPPyc/file.html
(just in case it was needed).
I'll take a look into it and try to make good looking buildings, and if you like, you can use them
Thanks, but I don't think there will be any big update in the future Image If 1.5.4 is stable (no crashes that I can fix), then there will be no reason to update the patch just for better models.
but static buildings are easy. Just need some inspiring moments
Easy if you like it Image But when you do it because it's "needed" then it's really tiring. And I personally hate graphics things.
For this part I used some of the models from EE4 and/or other games, with little to no changes.
I used most of models from the Realistic Mod (of course with iwanicki's permission), but he is a genius in importing models from the other games.
And it's a shame nothing can be done about the garrison-able buildings, would be more realistic to have either increased attack speed or number of ammunition shot at same time as garrison increases than to have it's dmg increased IMO.
Not sure, but maybe you could do an area effect? For example add an effect for every unit in range X from a building (infect), then those units (in the infected effect) to "add a bonus" in scale ~1.05 (or something) for a building that is in radius 1 from them. Not sure how would it work when units are inside - but worth try. I had some funny moments with area effects when I was applying crash fixes for missile launchers (due to in-game bug which can't be fixed in any other way).
I had no idea there was this version for mods, I am playing 2 game versions and fell the lack of the resolution and stuff on the modded one, glad to know this!
I'll try to put an information about this "version for the other mods" in more visible place. I agree that the patch is pretty useful due to screen resolutions (and windows 8+ fixes), that's why I had to create this "version for developers" Image
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs

Return to “EE2 Files, Modding, Maps, Scenarios, Scripting, Testing, etc.”