Any way to center the view on a unit, building, etc.?

General Talking for all forum users.
absay

Any way to center the view on a unit, building, etc.?

Post by absay »

I'm playing again after more than a decade, so I don't remember if there's a way to center the view on a unit (on old EE1 you did it by selecting the unit and pressing PERIOD). Centering the view on a unit would allow me to take nice screenshots and, most importantly, it makes finding my selected stuff faster since moving to one extreme of the map and then going back and trying to locate everything is really troublesome.

Additionally, is there a way to set the direction a unit/troop will face? Again, in old EE1 you could do this by holding the left mouse button and moving the cursor around, and an arrow would indicate which direction it will face.

Thanks for any assistance.

Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Re: Any way to center the view on a unit, building, etc.?

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

For centering the camera view on the unit, I only know that it can be done by:
- Adding the unit to the control group (the bar at the top-left of the User Interface).
- Double clicking the number (0-9), so the camera centers on the unit.

With Unofficial Patch 1.5 you can rotate the camera by the Middle Mouse Button press. More details: https://ee2.eu/blog/014-unofficial-patch-157.php
or with the old method: CTRL + Arrows.
absay wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 01:45 Additionally, is there a way to set the direction a unit/troop will face? Again, in old EE1 you could do this by holding the left mouse button and moving the cursor around, and an arrow would indicate which direction it will face.
I'm not exactly sure where is the problem. It should work exactly the same way in EE2. Unless you're using the Map Editor for it, then the method is a bit different. If the simple "CTRL" key press (or Middle Mouse Button press) to rotate the unit doesn't work, you can follow this method: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5216 (look at the last point). It's about selecting placed units, clicking and keeping the mouse on some "empty" place to rotate them.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
absay

Post by absay »

Many thanks for the answer!

The camera centering works like a charm, though pressing the number twice quickly gives the same effect and I find it a little more convenient. I wish I shouldn't have to use make a group and use a slot for this though, but then again it's not like I have ever had needed that many empty slots. ;)

As for the unit facing, yes, it works during regular gameplay just like in old EE1, I'm not sure what I did or didn't do that I couldn't replicate the functionality. And the method for units in the editor works too.
Dr.MonaLisa wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 11:27 With Unofficial Patch 1.5 you can rotate the camera by the Middle Mouse Button press. More details: https://ee2.eu/blog/014-unofficial-patch-157.php
or with the old method: CTRL + Arrows.
I didn't know the middle mouse had that many things! And I know I might' be asking for too much but a mode for a TILT mode movement would be awesome as well.

Many thanks again for all your work.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

I'm happy that I could help.

What exactly do you mean by the TILT mode? Maybe it's already there with the "Free Camera Mode" hotkey available in UP1.5?
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains

Return to “General Talking”