BEST RTS ever?

General Talking for all forum users.
rtk421

BEST RTS ever?

Post by rtk421 »

I purchased ee2 gold pack as soon as the expansion became available. I was a teenager at this point with near 10k hours logged onto ee1 and aoe conquerers and rise of rome and aoe1 which I had played since I was practically a toddler using my dads 98.

I instantly knew that mad doc had made something special. The epitome of everything that made aoe2 and ee1 great complete with unit cycling citizen management and an entire extra screen to micromanage. Addition of territories towers in walls and technology resource to eliminate most the silliness of past rts to put the emphasis on decision making and action.

However i spent the last decade primarily on league, recently now getting a cdrom drive to play my dozens of classic games on my new Windows 10 lappy. There is nothing like ee2 aos with practically unlimited options to create maps any way you want with any kind of handicap for unlimited single player ability. I had played a little multiplayer way back when but nowhere near as much as single player.

There has been a revitalization in classic RTS titles. Age of empires DE release has been a total game changer for the nostalgia of millions of people and is seeing as much play as it ever had with a growing esports scene with 50k live viewers in professional matches people are making their livings off of age of kings now! What a time to be alive. I enjoy watching professional aoe however it really highlights all the games many issues and shortcomings where all the skill and action comes down to attack grounding with a mangonel and microing your army to dodge said mangonel before one hit eliminates your chance of winning the game. Long live EE2

TLDR: thank you all for keeping this amazing community going. Hopefully soon EE2 will be getting the recognition it deserves as the epitome of the competitive RTS genre we all love so much. Made this account just to say it. All these aoe2 fanboys need is a small taste of empire earth

Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Re: BEST RTS ever?

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Glad to hear that you like EE2.eu!

It's very kind of you to register to share your thoughts. The positive feedback is quite rare here, compared to the number of users of UP1.5 :)

If you can't wait for the CD-ROM drive, this week EE2 Gold Edition is on $3.39 sale: https://www.gog.com/game/empire_earth_2_gold

EE2 indeed is the best RTS game available. I've been trying to find a game that is at least close to EE2, but it's just unbeatable. All this cycle production, hotkeys for everything, picture-in-picture, citizen manager make it very unique. But anyway, now, EE2 with a support of all screen resolutions, DirectX 9 and many new game options will have a long live. Even if it's just for quite small group of players, it's worth.

By the way, if you use Discord, we have one for EE2: https://www.ee2.eu/discord/
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
rtk421

Post by rtk421 »

Hey Dr, thank you for your work! Currently it seems many old rts are experiencing a surge in player base as star wars empire at war community seems larger then at any other point. This could also be due to everyone staying home because covid. I believe ee2 community would see a huge boom if just a few folks were able to put the word out on gaming forums or upload YouTube. Most people do not know ee2 is a thing, at least not as many as the first title. With just a small bit of grass roots organizing im sure players would flock to your game in droves once they see the many options available in this title.

On another note My cdrom is currently running single player perfectly and i am having a blast, however I am reluctant to mod any game files since everything is running perfect just how i remember it. I imagine the main benefit of downloading 1.5 would be to play online, but seeing as I usually just enjoy a single player match pitting myself against ai's on hardest and even have the ability to handicap myself further, do you think it necessary I get the patch? Are there many new combat units? Or point me to a list of them. Are you able to give me some of the other main benefits of the mod? I am very much happy to be back and feeling very optimistic about the future of this game we all love so much
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Yes, we had a huge boost of players online due to SARS-CoV-2.
The best way to show it are Multiplayer online statistics: https://www.ee2.eu/multiplayer/#yearstatistics

About Unofficial Patch 1.5 - it is absolutely not focused on Multiplayer. The Multiplayer Lobby was actually created (or rather re-created) in 2015, 2 years after the first version of UP1.5 was released.
I could be listing benefits of UP1.5, but I don't think it's needed, since the download website was recently updated to show all important information in an easy way: https://www.ee2.eu/patch/#information

One of the first things noted is:
Please note, that the patch doesn't change the original game balance nor strategy. All new units and buildings listed in the changes list below can be disabled by the Configuration Utility (UP1.5 Settings) after installation, so you don't need to worry about changes which you don't like. The patch was designed to fix compatibility problems, and the rest is not that significant. To learn how to disable UP1.5 content, click here: https://www.ee2.eu/help/#disablefeatures
So the "modding" things should not be any problem, because they can be simply disabled with a switch.
Besides that, the patch supports all screen resolutions, DirectX 9 with Antialiasing, works on the newest windows version and so on.
What monthly updates change / improve / add, can be read here: https://www.ee2.eu/patch/changes/

I would really recommend to give it a try, especially, when you can just backup your current game folder to restore in case you don't like it :)
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains

Return to “General Talking”