"No scout rush" rule. Does it affect games where scout is enabled on game start?

New EE2 Government (since: 01.03.2014), everything about the EE2 management. You can report other players here.
Matty

Re: "No scout rush" rule. Does it affect games where scout is enabled on game start?

Post by Matty »

Yes I understand that some players will complain about anything they are not used to, like scout trick. It's just a bit sad that fast-pace games are getting changed for people who have played it few times. Like not only I stopped doing scout tricks and I feel like provoking when trying to box the opponent, but also I'm not using rams anymore, essential for my rush, just because people extend that YES_RULES to fast-pace games as well. Also this scout trick is in reality a fast-pace game thing and rarely useful in med-pace, because there you often don't know when the opponent is going to get a territory and, even if you manage to spot the building construction site, in order to exploit the situation you must have planned to build a cc in that terr too.
So, basically, scout trick has very little to do with medium-pace games but its destiny depends mainly on med-pace-only players.

Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Re: "No scout rush" rule. Does it affect games where scout is enabled on game start?

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

I understand what you mean, but I need to clarify few things so other players don't misunderstand the situation:
Nothing is getting changed. The new possibilities are being added which are preferred by most of new players, but also by the old ones, since if it wasn't a thing, they wouldn't agree with new players and force their vision anyway.

Theoretically we have the following possibilities now:
- Scout trick allowed / disallowed.
- No rules / Yes rules.
- Crowns and Leaders System enabled / disabled.
- New "Low + Tech Points" starting resources option.

All this can be decided by the host.

Every player can be a host. MonaNAT has 100% of success ratio, even if sometimes the first attempt fails. I know that it's faster to join players with the open port, but still that's not a problem. Batuzay, with the worst possible Internet connection is the best example of it. He's very often hosting games, and everyone needs few NAT attempts to join him. But they join. And he usually hosts "no rules" games in r-r.

So, basically, scout trick has very little to do with medium-pace games but its destiny depends mainly on med-pace-only players.
It depends. I remember Peppar's videos on YouTube where he managed to stop the enemy from building barracks for very long seconds (if not minutes). He could then get army sooner and micro on economy better. However, in my opinion it was more understandable settings than for example r-r. Because if enemy has a powerful civilization, and scouts tricks you so you can't construct anything, then rushes you with the unique unit, then you most likely lose the game due that you couldn't even produce a single unit to counter it. However, in medium pace, the enemy's scout can be attacked (even by citizens) because ceasefire is not active. That's why I wouldn't find it as a big problem. And this is why the scout is still being enabled in most r-r games that I remember.

But anyway, let's focus on what to do with the "no scout" rule more than move back to the history. It would be nice to know the opinion of more players.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
KennetRP

Post by KennetRP »

Reviving this thread now because yesterday I played a 1v1 game against Wilparra where (in typical COLM and uRs fashion) he attempts an outpost rush on my starting base. The game in question was set in epoch 15 which meant I had to face the strongest possible outpost. He mass gathered stone and wood, claimed the territory right next to me and began building the outpost on the border of my base. Meanwhile, I had just built an airport and thus did not have the resources to counter his "border defspam" with my own outpost, which means I was practically defenseless unless I took a desperate measure to stop him from finishing that outpost (I calculated that by the time my smart plane would finish producing, it would be already too late). As you may (or may not) have guessed by now is that "desperate measure" I'm referring to involved me using my scout (it was enabled on game start btw) to kill Wilparra's citizens building said outpost on my border. He complained about it in chat of course, but I countered with that it was not really a "scout rush" because it was purely a defensive action, unlike the aggressive use of a scout attacking/harassing the opponent's citizens in their starting base. Furthermore, I've had players do similar to me in the past, attacking my city center builders when trying to claim territory. I feel like I've discovered a grey area regarding the "no scout rush" rule. Thoughts?
These users thanked the author KennetRP for the post:
Dr.MonaLisa

Return to “Ministry of Game Affairs of the Empire Earth II Community”