What connection timeout do you prefer on Multiplayer?

New EE2 Government (since: 01.03.2014), everything about the EE2 management. You can report other players here.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

What connection timeout do you prefer on Multiplayer?

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Hello.
I've asked this question on Discord in MOGA rooms, but it was ignored, so I think it's good to use the Forum for those cases in the future.

Connection Timeout:
The time after which players are disconnected from the Multiplayer game in case of connection loss

Default value (since ver 1.0):
60 seconds.

Current value (157010):
120 seconds.

Changes history:

[156023 - 2018-01-15]:
- Changed the time after which players are disconnected from the Multiplayer game (from 60 seconds to 120 seconds). It will help to resume connection after player's IP change (if clients are connected by MonaNAT). We understand that the longer timeout might be annoying for the regularly-playing Multiplayer users, so we recommend to not invite known laggers to your games.
[157000 - 2018-10-26]:
- Restored the time after which players are disconnected from the Multiplayer game (from 120 seconds to default 60 seconds). While this change was helpful for players with problematic Internet connections, it could be annoying for active MP users.

//Some 1.5.7.XXX update changed it again to 120 seconds (undocumented)

Problems:
- The current timeout (120 seconds) requires players to usually wait for over 2 minutes when some player lags-out.
- It's impossible to reconnect to a EE2 game when player's IP address changes or IP doesn't change, but connection is established with normal NAT.
- Players connected with MonaNAT are able to reconnect, even after IP address changes, but MonaNAT is not always used.

What is your observation and opinion about this timeout time? Should it be reverted to default 60 seconds? I personally noticed that this long waiting is very annoying, makes other players in game quit and reconnects are rarely successful. I am currently not sure what's better, so waiting for opinions from others.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains

Tojo

Re: What connection timeout do you prefer on Multiplayer?

Post by Tojo »

I remember a player who had this issue of disconnecting from a game constantly. But even tho there was a possibility for him to reconnect it usually did not want to. Or players in game just left and simply remade the game.
So in my opinion would be good to set the connection timeout to original 60s.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Thanks for the opinion.
TheGrouch wanted to revert the default timeout too, on Discord conversation.

Therefore we will revert configuration to default timeout value with the next update.

The topic remains open to report potential issues related to connection timeout.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Coo1

Post by Coo1 »

I also vote for the 60 seconds timeout. When playing and timeout goes beyond 30-40 seconds I say to myself "this is it..."
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

I forgot to mention that the June 2019 update reverted the 60 seconds timeout: viewtopic.php?p=24973#p24973
[157011 - 2018-06-08]:
- Restored the time after which players are disconnected from the Multiplayer game in case of connection loss (from 120 seconds to default 60 seconds). It was changed again by some previous 157XXX update, but we detected that players who lag out usually won't reconnect, so the increased waiting time is wasted.

The topic remains open for the potential discussion.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs

Return to “Ministry of Game Affairs of the Empire Earth II Community”