As most of active Multiplayer users noticed, on 11th of May 2019 I added a new Messages Translator which helps players from different countries communicate.
Since the beginning, the Translator is able to translate messages using the following methods:
1. @Message - translates the Lobby or Private message to English. Example:
2. @l1-l2 Message - translates the Lobby or Private message from Language 1 to Language 2. Example:~eW`~>♔Dr.MonaLisa: @Deine mutter habst keine kinder
[de-en]~eW`~>♔Dr.MonaLisa: Your mother does not have any children
The list of available language codes can be found at: https://cloud.google.com/translate/docs/languages~eW`~>♔Dr.MonaLisa: @en-es What Mona doesn't know won't hurt her
[en-es]~eW`~>♔Dr.MonaLisa: Lo que Mona no sabe no la lastimará.
Automatic Translation on the Lobby Chat:
A few days after the Manual Translator release, I prepared Automatic Translator which is currently in BETA stage and is enabled for all Lobby and Private Messages.
How does it work?
- Every Player has a "weight", a number from -Infinity to 5. If the number is greater than 5, no more player messages are translated to English for the next 15 minutes.
- The default "weight" is 0. If "weight" is greater than -1 and a player sends message longer than 9 characters it's being sent to Google Cloud. If detected language is English the weight grows (+1), if the other Language is detected, the weight decreases (-1).
- If the weight is less than 0, a message is being sent to Google Cloud, no matter how many characters it has. Again: if detected language is English the weight grows (+1), if the other Language is detected, the weight decreases (-1).
The Auto-Translator only prints messages which are non-English. If the sent message is in English, the translator might still send it to the Google Cloud (to check what language it is), but will not print it as [en-en].
1. Message - If the Message length is greater than 9 or player used the different language before that, it's getting translated to English.
~eW`~>♔Dr.MonaLisa: Hola amigos!
[es-en]*~eW`~>♔Dr.MonaLisa: Hello friends!
Automatic Translation in Direct Messages (aka. Private Messages):~eW`~>♔Dr.MonaLisa: Hell yeah, it works!
Nothing is printed there
The Auto Translation in direct messages works similar way to the "Lobby Chat" messages, however, since 27.07.2019, the default language is not English - it is the language detected based on player's country (from the IP address).
If you do not wish to use the language based on your country, you can change the default language by typing the following message on the Lobby chat:Polish_Player: Cześć przyjacielu!
[pl-de]*Polish_Player: Hallo mein freund!
German_Player: hallo wie gehts?
[de-pl]*German_Player: cześć, jak się masz?
|cmd translationlanguage (auto,disabled,en,es,de,pl,etc.)
auto = default option, detects the language based on your country
disabled = disables the language translation in direct messages
en,es,de,pl,etc. = the language code which you wish to use for messages translation. The list of available language codes can be found at: https://cloud.google.com/translate/docs/languages
If both players countries are using the same language, the Automatic Translation is disabled in their conversation.
If a player from the country "A" writes a message using the language of a player from the country "B", then the translated message won't be displayed (to prevent duplicates).
The Manual and Automatic Translation only works for messages sent on the Lobby Chat or in Private Messages. Since EE2 is a peer-to-peer game, the messages sent in the Hosted Game Room or Game (after launch) are not stored in the EE2.eu database and can not be checked by periodical Translator script.
The Translator has anti-spam limits to not generate extra costs on Google Cloud. In case of messages spam some of them might get ignored.
Lobby and Private Messages are (as usual) stored in EE2.eu Database and sent to Google Cloud for translations (with exceptions of messages which reached translation limits).
I believe it's a great feature which makes our community and Multiplayer Services even more unique than on the other games! Non-English speaking players can finally communicate with others, without minimizing game.
Have a great day!