There are already a few Europe maps installed with EE2 patch 1.5, so why did I make a new one? In my opinion, some of them are not realistic enough and some have some flaws. However, the main reason is an absence of a well-modelled Europe map for EE2 AOS.
As some of you already know, EE2 and AOS maps are not always compatible with each other. This is why I used Loewenherz's Map Editor.
Here is a summary of the details I was trying to obtain in the last 4 weeks:
- Compatibility with both EE2 and AOS using Loewenherz's Map Editor: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5265
- Loading map geography based on a true Europe elevation map using a DEM.
- True water and mountain elevations using a real-world topography map based on TessaDEM database: https://en-il.topographic-map.com/map/.
- 🏜 Real terrain painting based on world climate regions: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/61 ... 84b2398f3b
- Real territories based on an updated political map.
- Accurate location and density of forests based on the European Space Agency using Jakub Marian's work: https://jakubmarian.com/forests-of-europe-map/
- ⛏ Real resource distribution based on European Geological Data Infrastructure data: https://www.europe-geology.eu/promine/
- True animal distribution and use of Loew's Ambient Pack assets (including limited resources amounts).
- Avoiding territories too small to claim.
- 🏝 Making sure islands are claimable with City Centers for better gameplay.
- ⏯ True starting locations for 10 civilizations and 5 native tribes (AOS).
*** FIX UPDATE ***
I have fixed some issues we've encountered when testing this map:
- Big ships (like aircraft carriers) couldn't pass near Denmark, the English Channel, the Sea of Marmara and Gibraltar. Those have been fixed while others (minor passageways) stayed the same for a strategic challenge and interesting gameplay.
- An oil derrick couldn't be built in Poland due to uneven terrain - fixed.
- Fish were added to the Baltic Sea, where they were missing and whales were replaced to have one type which has an animation.
Enjoy my map and please test it and provide me with feedback here. I wonder what you think of limited resources - I was thinking about tweaking the amounts.
Here are some screenshots from this tedious yet satisfying process and the map itself for download:
empireearth2://decode-downloader-ee2-ma ... ew&id=2096
empireearth2://decode-downloader-aos-ma ... ew&id=2096