Terra: Mini Earth

Preview of Unreleased Content and Users Work
PaulStretch

Terra: Mini Earth

Post by PaulStretch »

I'm testing out the map editor to see how realistic I can make an earth with biomes that blend together. After the terrain is done, I a going to try to simulating different seasons for each biome. IE. the northern most portions of the map with be permanently snow. The Top and bottom of the map will be flanked with "ice" (White sand), Jungles and tropics will permanently be summer. The mountains will have more or less snow from winter to summer. The deserts will have SOME snow in the winter. My way of doing this would be overwriting some of the temperate textures, so some are the same year round. This will also involve overwriting some of the trees so some are permanently "winterized". As an aside it would be neat if each biome could have different effects on units, but my understanding is, that terrain textures don't have special qualities tied to them aside from navigation blocking, like with mountains and water.
Attachments
MAP.EE2.png
MAP.EE2.png (2.4 MiB) Viewed 3088 times

Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Re: Terra: Mini Earth

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Looks beautifully!
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
Loewenherz

Post by Loewenherz »

Interesting. ^^
List of tutorials, useful threads and utilities (look here before posting): Here

Add Pics to Map: viewtopic.php?f=54&p=25184#p25184

Loews Work: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5160
KennetRP

Post by KennetRP »

Nice! Is this map based on a real-life geographical location or just made up?

P.S. Don't forget to balance resource allocation. The base maps usually has unfair resources.
PaulStretch

Post by PaulStretch »

Thanks, and the way I was going to do resources was they'd be associated with certain terrain types. Ie. oil is common in the desert, gold and iron are in the mountains, forests contain fruit trees. Thanks for the links. It be neat to create ocean oil resources, but I'd have to see if there'd be conflicts with trying to have a building with placement type "resource" that's placed in the water. At best I suppose it could have coastal placement, and only one per territory. I also in terms of food, I tested out making it to where players can produce animals from stables to harvest for resources. I'd have to figure out how to balance it so that's a valid alternative to farms.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

I personally think you should put resources equally, or this map will be forgotten quickly. Many maps of the similar type have the same mistake, and that's why Multiplayer users don't use them. Logically - you can't be in many places at once, every game would simply depend on the starting position and the player getting easier accees to all resources would win it.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
PaulStretch

Post by PaulStretch »

Organized the seasonal textures so there are different "climates" on the map. Problem I'm realizing now is that I can't have weather active, because weather effects are going to be applied to the whole map. I hear what you're saying about making sure resources are equally accessible. I like the idea though of resources being located in an area that they're associated in with real geography.
Attachments
Terra.png
Terra.png (2.1 MiB) Viewed 3051 times
TerraF.png
TerraF.png (1.97 MiB) Viewed 3051 times
TerraW.png
TerraW.png (2.07 MiB) Viewed 3051 times
TerraSp.png
TerraSp.png (2.19 MiB) Viewed 3051 times
Sat42

Post by Sat42 »

This also looks incredibly good! Did you make these maps by hand in the editor? Like I said, it looks fantastic.
PaulStretch

Post by PaulStretch »

Thanks, I made it by hand.
Sat42

Post by Sat42 »

Well done then! :) a standard to strive for!

Return to “Spotlight”