I Remember Why I Stopped Modding This

Modding, Map Editor, IES Scripting and Other Questions
PaulStretch

I Remember Why I Stopped Modding This

Post by PaulStretch »

So I started working on the mod again, and I keep getting this inconsistent ACCESS VIOLATION error when I start a skirmish. It's hard to pin point what's causing it, because it's inconsistent. Sometimes skirmish starts fine. Sometimes it won't, but I can get skirmish to work by copying and pasting my modded db zip to the EE2 file without making any changes. It will work once, then crash the second time I start a skirmish. Sometimes If I play a scenario first, then start a skirmish match, It will work, But It will only work 3 times, then I'll need to re copy my modded DB zip into the directory again and skirmish it will work......but only once. Even more strange if it crashes once, but I wait 30mins or so then start the game up again, and start a skirmish match, it will work......but only once or twice and then it will keep crashing again. If It were consistent, great then I could figure out what I need to change, but It's not.

Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Re: I Remember Why I Stopped Modding This

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

ACCESS VIOLATION error shows the part in the code where it crashed. It can be caused literally by everything.

If you have EIP from that crash error, you can paste to me, so I check what function is the closest to that address. Remember to tell if you're modding EE2 or EE2: AOS.

Your temporary fix is probably related to the filled RAM memory. For example, some error in DDF causes game trying to access "bad" address. If it's filled with random data it might still success (but obviously work incorrectly, and on Multiplayer it would Out of Sync). When the memory is filled with zeroes, then game throws the error detecting that memory is incorrect. So when you copy a file, the part of your Operating System memory might get filled with another random data of the cached file and work correctly. If you played some YouTube videos, or opened big files it would probably have the same effect.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
These users thanked the author Dr.MonaLisa for the post:
PaulStretch
PaulStretch

Post by PaulStretch »

I am modding EE2. The EIP is EIP:007ffb0ah

I suspect the error might be related to the fact I deleted the Wonders and unique units from dbtechtreenode.csv
As usual thanks for your quick reply.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Seems to be under:
Screenshot 2021-12-15 053716.png
Screenshot 2021-12-15 053716.png (6.62 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
Maybe some new area effect?
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
These users thanked the author Dr.MonaLisa for the post:
PaulStretch
PaulStretch

Post by PaulStretch »

I did add a couple of effects. I'll look there. Thanks for the help! I'm thinking I need to restart this project though, and try to work with the existing game more, rather than force it to do things It wasn't programed to do.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Yes. This is one of reasons why Unofficial Patch 1.5 doesn't change too much in game. New features were added over years, and tested after every release. This way it gives players a very stable experience of playing. When you change too many things in game at once, it's hard or even impossible to detect root causes when they occur. EE2 is on one side friendly for modding (because of many editable files), but on the other hand error detection is just not friendly, and it makes this game hard to mod, even when at the first look it looks as easy thing to do.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
PaulStretch

Post by PaulStretch »

I'll keep that in mind.

Return to “Questions”