Prototyping System for Energy and Fuel

Preview of Unreleased Content and Users Work
PaulStretch

Prototyping System for Energy and Fuel

Post by PaulStretch »

I've been working on a system for an energy gird bonus as well as fuel bonus for the game. Energy increases production by 200% as well as the output of all wealth generating buildings by 50%. Oil bonus is a replacement for the vanilla resource, where oil is a movement bonus, that without vehicles essentially sit still. Both bonuses are transmitted via the "infect" effect. They are carried by a transport agent which travel to nodes like, "gas stations" and "substations" in order to spread the effect to units The effect has a time limit. The idea being that fuel constantly needs to be transmitted to nodes otherwise the effect disappears. For example, the agent "fuel truck" picks up the infection from and oil field, and has 90sec to carry it to a node "gas station" which will spread the effect to any wheeled units that pass by the gas station along the road. If the oil field is destroyed then the effect will time out after 90 sec at the gas station, and eventually time out for every vehicle. Essentially you've run out of fuel. The setup is similar with power. the power plant "infects" power lines with energy (which will be built similarly to walls) which carry the infection to buildings.

Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Re: Prototyping System for Energy and Fuel

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Is there any question? Or it's just an informative topic?
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
PaulStretch

Post by PaulStretch »

It's just informative
These users thanked the author PaulStretch for the post:
Dr.MonaLisa
RGV1

Post by RGV1 »

PaulStretch wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 05:11 I've been working on a system for an energy gird bonus ...
The idea is interesting. EE2 allows you to make a lot of interesting effects and various game mechanics.
Whether it is relevant for the players is the question.
These users thanked the author RGV1 for the post:
PaulStretch
PaulStretch

Post by PaulStretch »

Yeah. this system has also been my workaround for introducing new resources. Food, uranium, and oil are all bonuses now instead of resources, because they are consumables more than they are materials used to build things. So now I'm able to rename these resources to textiles, carbon nanotubes, and electronics. Which are all materials gathered in buildings, (like oil) instead of gathered from the environment.
RGV1

Post by RGV1 »

1. I should probably let you know if you are interested in the topic of bonuses and effects.
when multiple effects are applied to one unit, they may incorrectly add or multiply arithmetically.
For example, four effects affect the barracks, each reducing the build speed by a factor of 0.9 (10% less). should be when four effects are active. 1 * 0.9 * 0.9 * 0.9 * 0.9 = 0.6561 but the game will do something like this: 1 * 0.9 * 0.9 * 0.9 * 0.9 = 0.15
it turns out that the unit is built almost instantly
An interesting mechanism for calculating the game. come across this?

2 will you make the mod? or is it an experiment for yourself?
These users thanked the author RGV1 for the post:
PaulStretch
PaulStretch

Post by PaulStretch »

That's helpful to know. I wonder why that happens. So far I haven't noticed that. I've noticed there is a limit to how long you can make a unit's build time and the scale of the factor by which you reduce it (seems to be 999 and .001 respectively). I do want to release the mod when I finish everything, but this is my first project this big so there is a lot of experimenting. I will complete it, but I don't know how stable the end product will be for other people to use.

Return to “Spotlight”