Modding .KF animations original from the game

Modding, Map Editor, IES Scripting and Other Questions
Gonzalo

Modding .KF animations original from the game

Post by Gonzalo »

I think it's possible to alter, combine or to create completely new animations for units in the game, but it seems (for me) too hard at starting. I nevertheless altered some values of tiger's attack animation, and (it seemed to me) its mouth opened more widely than before (well, I modded really ocelot with tiger skeleton, and simulated two different bones for the jaws and set the lower jaw to neck bone, so it seemed to be opening its mouth)...if someone about has worked with animations (I know that our beloved leader had, and successfully) I just need some hints to get my animations working, some theoretical basis since when I look short into the code in nifskope I just see dozens of quaternions with different values for x, y, z axes, but no quaternion makes explicit to which bone it is bound. Help, as always, would be highly appreciated...greetings to Mona and Loewenherz, and sorry for my long absence.

Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Re: Modding .KF animations original from the game

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

I never did a new KF animation.

I tweaked some of existing animations to slow down the windmill rotation, or to add more wheels for some truck for Iwanicki. I recorded a video how it's done, and you've probably seen it already? So that's all I could do.

I have no idea how to create new animations. That would require some old Gamebyro development kit that was used during EE2 development. I don't know anything more about animations.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
Gonzalo

Post by Gonzalo »

Thank you for reply!!
RGV1

Post by RGV1 »

Gonzalo wrote: 25 May 2021, 09:20 I think it's possible to alter ...
Hi Gonzalo.
There are two problems with animation (I'm not sure if they were solved during this time).
nifskope - does not allow full editing of existing animation .kf
You can view it, start the movement of the unit, but change it globally - there is no such functionality.
You can move bones, points, change rotation speeds, create new rotation points, and that's it.
There is no script for Blender to convert third-party animation (for example from CiV 4) in .kf format specifically for EE2. There is a script for 3D models, but there is no script for animation. As a result, we cannot use animations from other games (which would be so tempting).
PaulStretch

Post by PaulStretch »

Capture001.png
Capture001.png (1.72 MiB) Viewed 1668 times
Is it possible to modify movement positions of .Kf animations? I used the PLOW mesh animation on the self propelled artillery to make the panels on this vehicles wings rotate. The problem is the wing panels rotate too far back. I want them to only rotate down by a small degree. I tried modifying the XYZ keyframe value to say, 1.1 instead of 2.15, it seems like this doesn't change anything.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

I believe it must be somewhere here?
Screenshot 2021-08-17 012254.png
Screenshot 2021-08-17 012254.png (82.56 KiB) Viewed 1666 times
Maybe 180 instead of -0.0000?

Try different values and test.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
PaulStretch

Post by PaulStretch »

Idk. I added different values to all of the XYZ Rotations. I tried 180, but I think the values are radians like 3.14
Gonzalo

Post by Gonzalo »

Hi, sorry for my absence. My mother died on 6/August/2021. Was hard but I am starting to learn to live without her--impossible to forget. Since single bone rotation and position can be altered, no need to import existing other games' animations, as troublesome and cumbersome it may be. Just taking existing animations from the game, combining, splitting or just altering them, that is my dream. So we can create a wide range of new animations for the game. I think so, my apologies if I am at mistake.
Sat42

Post by Sat42 »

Hi Gonzalo, sorry for your loss. We all have to deal with mortality in our lives. I hope you have had enough time to process it.

Regarding animations, sounds difficult to achieve anything truly new. However, you may want to try contact PaulStretch - he succeeded in adding a starship with six swiveling turrets!
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5506

Take care!
Gonzalo

Post by Gonzalo »

Thanks Sat42, it's hard but I am managing to live these moments of sorrow. Thanks for help, I will check your link :)

Return to “Questions”