Unique Structures

Modding, Map Editor, IES Scripting and Other Questions
Pabelos

Unique Structures

Post by Pabelos »

Hi Guys! Im Pabelos, Im new on this forum and here Im coming to you with my first question which concerns EE 2 modding: Is it possible to create unique buildings for each civ like a units??? If yes than plz read what files I must edit. I will be grateful for any help ;)

Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Re: Unique Structures

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Hi.

The answer is provided in the similar topics:
viewtopic.php?p=25982#p25982
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5189

Generally, EE2 uses regions for models. You could create unique buildings for each civilization, but they would lose all other dependencies, like city center wouldn't have the city center behaviour (to claim the territory, heal units, etc.) unless 100 other files were edited (and perhaps even impossible to do it fully, if the City_Center unit type name is hardcoded in the executable). So theoretically everything is possible, practically it's too heavy changes to do and should only modify regions as general.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
Pabelos

Post by Pabelos »

Ok so there is five regions:

af - African
fe - Far Eastern
we - Western
me - Middle Eastern
am - Mesoamerican

Maybe there is some way for create new region like for example: Jp - Japan and than it will be easy for more variety buildings creation.

And you just wrote this:"You could create unique buildings for each civilization, but they would lose all other dependencies, like city center wouldn't have the city center behaviour (to claim the territory, heal units, etc.) unless 100 other files were edited (and perhaps even impossible to do it fully, if the City_Center unit type name is hardcoded in the executable). So theoretically everything is possible, practically it's too heavy changes to do and should only modify regions as general."

So just write what files needed to be edited and Im try to do my best Mona ;)
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Regions are hardcoded in game engine. You can't create a new region.
So just write what files needed to be edited and Im try to do my best Mona ;)
I don't need to list the files down, because you generally need to edit almost all of them. So you need to explore db.zip / db_155.zip to get familiar with what files are used.

There are multiple topics with those things explained, for example:
viewtopic.php?p=23877#p23877
viewtopic.php?p=20030#p20030
viewtopic.php?p=19623#p19623
viewtopic.php?p=26031#p26031

So in dbtechtreenode you'll notice how unique civilization units are added in game (Spahi, Royal Elephant, etc.). Then based on it you can create copies of buildings.
But then, new copied building won't be able to produce any unit you want, because all produced units can only be assigned to 1 building. So you would need to have unique copies of produced units, and so on. So at the end you would end up with over 1000 duplicated units / buildings, and your game would probably crash.

It's just not worth to use this method.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Pabelos

Post by Pabelos »

Ok than for now I will start edit some icons and units modding, and here comes other question: How change for example unit attack sound, selection sound, runing sound etc???
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Pabelos wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 21:37 Ok than for now I will start edit some icons and units modding, and here comes other question: How change for example unit attack sound, selection sound, runing sound etc???
You really need to explore and check the content of those files first, or then it will be endless questions.
In 1.5, most of sounds are set in: zips\db_155.zip\db\TechTree\upgrade_unittype5.csv, but some are only in .ddf files, depending if an unit has the upgrade set or not.

The audio for units is defined in: zips\db_155.zip\db\Audio\dbsoun5.csv so you can set mp3 files there.

Icons can be defined in file zips\dbsprite_unitIcons_packed.csv (this one is unpacked and works for both, EE2 and AOS at the same time).
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Pabelos

Post by Pabelos »

Ok thank you very much, for now its all I need. Thank u again ;)
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Just a side note, if you're modding on the normal version of 1.5, remember to make backups of your edits / files, as every minor update overwrites db_155.zip / db_150.zip, so you might lose your progress.

For heavy modding, it's actually recommended to use Developers Version of 1.5, with unchanged files structure: https://www.ee2.eu/patch/developers/
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Pabelos

Post by Pabelos »

Ok bro ;)
Pabelos

Post by Pabelos »

Btw Mona here is some proof that I know how to add icons for units thanks to You :) And I add samurai icon if someone wants to use it. To install it just download file "icon_unique_samurai.rar" repack it and drop it to: \zips\textures_150
icon_unique_samurai.rar
(12.5 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Proof that "It just works" XD:
EE2X_ScreenShot_2021-01-26_19.38.13.422.jpg
EE2X_ScreenShot_2021-01-26_19.38.13.422.jpg (220.8 KiB) Viewed 1376 times

Return to “Questions”