Playing FMV (video file) at start/end of scenario

ImageImageTalking about Modding for EE2 and EE2 AOS. New maps, patches, programs and Multiplayer scenarios.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Re: Playing FMV (video file) at start/end of scenario

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Maybe that's what functions "PrintSubtitle()", "PrintFormattedSubtitle()" are for :)
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains

Sat42

Post by Sat42 »

Dr.MonaLisa wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 01:25 Maybe that's what functions "PrintSubtitle()", "PrintFormattedSubtitle()" are for :)
Aha! Yes might be worth experimenting with those - thanks for bringing them to light! :P It would make for an interesting exercise actually, since every "print" would have to be accompanied by a strict timing function (timing determined when editing actual video beforehand of course) before firing the next print or simply a "clear" function of some sort... hmm, will need to make tests with a dummy video for sure!

I actually found the dbtext_subtitles.utf8 in db[zip folder] -> db -> Text and that is likely where my subtitles would have to go if I go down this route.

FYI: after much internal deliberation, I started working on a single (history-based) scenario for EEII (not expansion) that a priori doesn't require lots of modding (certainly none that would affect things outside of my scenario) in the hopes that it could eventually be released officially on Normal patch 1.5 for a greater audience to enjoy. This scenario requires only IES scripts, two new BIK files for the movies folder, and the ability to add new territory names to dbtext_territory_names.utf8 (for example under // CUSTOM SCENARIO TERRITORY NAMES) and new city names for city centres pre-positioned on the map (I don't know where I can add new city centre names so that EEII recognises the line "tx_ms_cityname_YourCityName" as a valid label, but I'll open another topic for that). I will create a topic for this scenario when it is more advanced.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Sat42 wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 12:01have to be accompanied by a strict timing function (timing determined when editing actual video beforehand of course) before firing the next print or simply a "clear" function of some sort... hmm, will need to make tests with a dummy video for sure!
I think you should read the scripting document again. They provided an example on how to do it. All that is needed is "DoDelay()" after the .bik file starts playing. Shouldn't be that hard :)
I actually found the dbtext_subtitles.utf8 in db[zip folder] -> db -> Text and that is likely where my subtitles would have to go if I go down this route.
You need to stop guessing and start reading:
To add an entry to the text db, you need to download and use an editing program like BabelPad™ and make sure you save the file with the prefix "usertext" as in usertext_myscenario.utf8. Next, make a folder called "db" in your "EE2\Run" directory and drop the .utf8 file in a "Text" folder within the "db" folder. Next, start making up strings:

usertext_myscenario_beginning,"""In the beginning…"""
usertext_myscenario_cornchips,"""there were plenty of corn chips…"""
etc…

Make sure you end the file with a hard return, or else you'll likely get some kind of error.

Then, in your script, anytime you want to show some text, you call a the appropriate string:
So it can be any new .utf8 file, no need to edit existing ones.
FYI: after much internal deliberation, I started working on a single (history-based) scenario for EEII (not expansion) that a priori doesn't require lots of modding (certainly none that would affect things outside of my scenario) in the hopes that it could eventually be released officially on Normal patch 1.5 for a greater audience to enjoy. This scenario requires only IES scripts, two new BIK files for the movies folder, and the ability to add new territory names to dbtext_territory_names.utf8 (for example under // CUSTOM SCENARIO TERRITORY NAMES) and new city names for city centres pre-positioned on the map (I don't know where I can add new city centre names so that EEII recognises the line "tx_ms_cityname_YourCityName" as a valid label, but I'll open another topic for that). I will create a topic for this scenario when it is more advanced.
In this case, you can use file: zips\dbtext_cheats.utf8 (EDITED IN: Unofficial Patch Files\EXEGeneratorData\TextsSource.txt ). Once you finish editing, then delete zips\dbtext_cheats.utf8 so it gets re-generated. There are free entries:
tx_futuretext24,""""""
tx_futuretext25,""""""
tx_futuretext26,""""""
tx_futuretext27,""""""
tx_futuretext28,""""""
tx_futuretext29,""""""
tx_futuretext30,""""""
tx_futuretext31,""""""
tx_futuretext32,""""""
Which can be used by other scenarios which are included to UP1.5.

However, .bik files won't be included in the patch installer. There is no way to waste the space like this. I had to refuse such propositions many times, even from Loew who put a lot of time in moding EE2. So it can either be a separate scenario-mod downloaded from the forum post (I recommend this), or have very limited features to not ruin UP1.5 backward compatibility (no new files allowed) and not use disk space senseslessly.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
Sat42

Post by Sat42 »

Hehe I thought there might be an issue with including the .bik files in the patch installer! I understand - yes the best is to make a separate scenario-mod in its own thread (a kind of "director's cut") for the videos, and a "map-only" version can be worked on for inclusion in the patch installer.

All good! Exciting stuff, thanks again for the guidance here :)

Return to “EE2 files, modding, maps, testing, etc.”