Unofficial Patch 1.5 - New Texts Source Translation System

ImageImageTalking about Modding for EE2 and EE2 AOS. New maps, patches, programs and Multiplayer scenarios.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Unofficial Patch 1.5 - New Texts Source Translation System

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Hello.
Today I realized the "idea" of bringing the Multi-Language support of Unofficial Patch 1.5 in-game texts.

Two important things:
- It allows us to translate in-game Unofficial Patch 1.5 texts from Unofficial Patch Files\EXEGeneratorData\TextsSource.txt
- It doesn't allow us to translate the Launcher texts (yet, and I don't know if it will be ever needed).

How does the new System work, and why it won't slow down further UP1.5 development?
1. Unofficial Patch 1.5 generates file "zips\dbtext_cheats.utf8" from Text Source files in "Unofficial Patch Files\EXEGeneratorData" folder. For example: "TextsSource.txt", "ScreenResolutionsTextsXX.txt", etc.
2. Since upcoming update 157019 (release date is unknown yet), the Launcher loads files: "TextsSourceTranslation_LANGNAME.txt". It is based on the following UP1.5 Settings -> custom configuration commands:
# TranslateTextsSourceFile=1 | Enabled (default option), uses the language based on your installed game language.
# TranslateTextsSourceFile=0 | Disabled, uses the old text database method from the previous versions of UP1.5 (English only).
# TranslateTextsSourceFile=FILENAME | Allows you to use a custom translation file, like: "Unofficial Patch Files\EXEGeneratorData\TextsSourceTranslation_FILENAME.txt".
3. The Launcher keeps the original amount of entries from file "TextsSource.txt". During the generation process it checks each entry from "TextsSource.txt" for existence inside "TextsSourceTranslation_LANGNAME.txt". If the entry is missing in "TextsSourceTranslation_LANGNAME.txt", then "dbtext_cheats.utf8" gets non-translated entry directly from "TextsSource.txt". Otherwise, it gets the existing entry from "TextsSourceTranslation_LANGNAME.txt". Additional entries (which don't exist in "TextsSource.txt") are being ignored. The order of entries in "TextsSourceTranslation_LANGNAME.txt" doesn't matter - it can be totally random.
4. Thanks to this method, I won't need to wait for people who decide to help in translation and I will be able to add English text entries with Minor Updates. Then it's up to the other people when (and if) they provide updated translation files.
5. It also allows us to translate Unofficial Patch 1.5 text entries to languages which weren't originally published by any distribution, however I don't think it will be ever used, since other game texts will remain untranslated for those "new" languages.

Which languages are already translated?

- The full translation (of everything) is available for the following languages:
* English
* Polish
* Italian
* German

- The partial translation (only entries which were available in db.zip) is available for the following languages:
* French
* Chinese
* Czech
* Spanish
* Hungarian
* Russian

Guidelines for people who would like to help in translation:
- The translation doesn't need to be exact. It can be re-written to sound nicely in your language.
- It is not recommended to add extra information (not available in English source).
- It's important to use your language characters (ü ß ó ł ą ś ć ż ź, etc.) and keep the correct punctuation.
- The length of messages like Multiplayer notifications (login errors, NAT joining, etc.) should have possibly the similar length as the original English entry. It's because longer texts may not fit in message boxes. It doesn't affect units/building descriptions.
- "Unofficial Patch 1.5" name should not be translated and used in English form. The only exception is term "Unofficial Version 1.5", which can be translated. It's for cohesion reasons.
- Please don't hurry and carefully check if the entries have a correct format: EntryName,"""Text""" (comma, 3 quotes, text, 3 quotes).
- Please check file "TextsSourceTranslation_Polish.txt" to check how it should look like (it has been translated by me).
- For entries like screen resolutions, please use the original .utf8 files from "zips_ee2x\EE2X_db.zip\EE2X_db\Text" (and of course add additional information if there are any)

If someone is interested in helping in translation - please write in this topic.
Here's the Preview version of update 157019 (it will be deleted from this topic after the official release):
Deleted

To test your translated file, please:
- Put your language name to UnofficialVersionConfig.txt like: "TranslateTextsSourceFile=German", "TranslateTextsSourceFile=Chinese", etc.
- Delete file "zips\dbtext_cheats.utf8" to force Launcher re-generation (do it every time you update the "TextsSourceTranslation_LANGNAME.txt").

By the way, it's not hard to translate, I just wrote a detailed guide to answer all potential questions and prevent correction requests.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains

TheGrouchDE

Re: Unofficial Patch 1.5 - New Texts Source Translation System

Post by TheGrouchDE »

I will translate the text into German.
Greetings, the one and only evil mastermind and your friendly dictator next door, TheGrouchDE.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Thank you.

If you have any questions regarding Guidelines, please feel free to ask.
I would also recommend to follow entries available in "TextsSourceTranslation_Polish.txt". I skipped not-needed entries, and translated everything that was remaining. The first lines also show screen resolution syntax, for example: [Screen1W].
Easy method for finding those entries is opening EE2X_db.zip, clicking F3, "String to find": entry before ,""". This would speed things up.

For unit names like Missile Launchers, please try to use google and if you don't find anything then make up the name which you think sounds the best.
For example I had problems translating "Cruise Missile Submarine" and "Ballistic Missile Submarine".
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Loewenherz

Post by Loewenherz »

Have forgotten in a Mission to put the textstring in a utf8 file. I have updatet it, so it can maybe in future translate. Here are the new textstrings.

tx_drgrip_cin_troyVic_1,"""With the death of King Priam and the destruction of his palace, the Trojans are no more!"""
tx_drgrip_cin_troyVic_2,"""After ten long years of hard fighting, the Greeks have finally achieved their goal."""
tx_drgrip_cin_troyVic_3,"""But even though this great civilization has been destroyed..."""
tx_drgrip_cin_troyVic_4,"""The tale of the Trojan War, and all the heros who had been fighting on both sides,"""
tx_drgrip_cin_troyVic_5,"""shall never be forgotton..."""

DrGripTroyfixedText.zip
(195.03 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
List of tutorials, useful threads and utilities (look here before posting): Here

Add Pics to Map: viewtopic.php?f=54&p=25184#p25184

Loews Work: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5160
IndieRock00

Post by IndieRock00 »

Hi, I'm working for Italian Translation
Long life and prosperity. 🖖
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Thank you IndieRock00. Please feel free to ask if you need any more details regarding translation.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
IndieRock00

Post by IndieRock00 »

Hi Mona, I tried to see my translation in game.. but I haven't see any change.. Please tell me how to add translation file because I couldn't do it by following your guide.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Hi. Which file have you edited? "Unofficial Patch Files\EXEGeneratorData\TextsSourceTranslation_Italian.txt"?
Have you edited UnofficialVersionConfig.txt and inserted: "TranslateTextsSourceFile=Italian"?
Have you deleted file "zips\dbtext_cheats.utf8" before the test?
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
IndieRock00

Post by IndieRock00 »

Yes, I did these changes, Where I have to write "TranslateTextsSourceFile=Italian"? In the end of the lines?
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Oh, anywhere before "///!INFORMATIONS!///". Things below that are ignored. Sorry, I forgot to mention it, as the recommended way is using UP1.5 Settings for that -> Custom configuration command.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs

Return to “EE2 Files, Modding, Maps, Scenarios, Scripting, Testing, etc.”