map editor season cycle

Modding, Map Editor, IES Scripting and Other Questions
Andrekk

Re: map editor season cycle

Post by Andrekk »

I tried and I failed, maybe I do something wrong but I followed your indications step by step. I added all the lines and launched the game but nothing changes with the map editor

Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

What happened when you loaded your map, added city centers and clicked "Test Mission"? Did it start since December and snowy weather?
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
Andrekk

Post by Andrekk »

I only created the map not scenario, I launched the skirmish on the edited map and the season cycle wasn't working
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

And did you edit this map after changing the settings.cfg file? Made any changes, then saved?
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Andrekk

Post by Andrekk »

i did a brend new map with the new settings.cfg.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Okay, then probably it doesn't work. I'll make my own tests later.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Andrekk

Post by Andrekk »

Ok, and thanks for all the hard work u put in it!
Sat42

Post by Sat42 »

Hey Mona,

I tested your idea for settings.cfg - which presumably allows for cycling of seasons AND can enable Cycle Time of Day - with EEII (not expansion yet) Developers and Normal 1.5.

It didn't seem to work properly (whether you consider launching EEII editor with the Developers or Normal 1.5 game): sure things like startingSeason = Winter did work in terms of visuals BUT the month would still be fixed at June, weather didn't work, the months wouldn't cycle, and timeOfDay = DynamicTwo (or DynamicFive etc.) doesn't do anything (we are still stuck in default noon).
Quite sad actually! I didn't try AoS yet because I am funnily enough working with base EEII for my first scenario.
I did try with minutesPerSeason = 10 (instead of what you proposed, which is 5) because that is the default in EEII when using PauseCalendar(false) in script.

I restored my original settings.cfg, but as far as I can tell:
-> in EEII editor (whether with Developers or normal 1.5), weather will work, seasons will cycle, and game will start from desired month if and only if you use this script:

Code: Select all

// The calender should advance
PauseCalendar(false);
// Set the starting month to May
SetCurrentMonth(5);
// the weather should change
PauseWeatherSystem(false);
// and the line below doesn't work
SetCurrentTimeOfDay(6); 
The time of day function doesn't work, so default noon remains (though of course there are lighting changes due to weather at least).

Added after 3 minutes 7 seconds:
Still as my example of The Three Kingdoms scenario shows, the official developers did know how to set a time of day different from noon in their scenarios.

Added after 56 seconds:
And since timeOfDay = DynamicTwo didn't work, I don't know how to add day cycles to a scenario either!
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Thanks for testing. Too bad it doesn't work.

Keep in minds that .IES scripting was added with the official patch 1.2. Scenarios were made by developers using their own tools, for version 1.0. So we can't expect everything to be the same.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Sat42

Post by Sat42 »

Dr.MonaLisa wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 13:22 Thanks for testing. Too bad it doesn't work.

Keep in minds that .IES scripting was added with the official patch 1.2. Scenarios were made by developers using their own tools, for version 1.0. So we can't expect everything to be the same.
Yeah :cry:

Of note though, The Art of Supremacy also had scenarios with times of day different from noon:

This is from the first Egyptian scenario, Neferkare and the Old Kingdom: notice the lighting colour and longer shadows. Of course the developers could still have used their own tools, but maybe they still achieved this in a .IES script...

Return to “Questions”