For a set epoch, forcing some buildings to display looks from later epoch

Modding, Map Editor, IES Scripting and Other Questions
Sat42

Re: For a set epoch, forcing some buildings to display looks from later epoch

Post by Sat42 »

brownsfan_95 wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 23:03 Sat42

If what you want is, for example, to have to cobblestone road (epoch 5-9) replace the dirt road (epoch 1-4) in the bronze age (epoch 3) this is what to do:

1. Go to the epoch5_upgrades.ddf file in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sierra\Empire Earth II\zips_ee2x\EE2X_db.zip\EE2X_db\TechTree" and open with wordpad

2. Copy and remove the following text from the " UpgradeRefSet MainEpoch5 {
upgrades = [ " section
RoadUpgradeEpoch5
RoadElbowUpgradeEpoch5
BridgeUpgradeEpoch5
CityPlazaUpgradeEpoch5

3. Paste the text in the epoch3_upgrades.ddf file in the same section

Note: You might have to extract these files or folders to allow editing and saving. You also might have to change the same files in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sierra\Empire Earth II\zips_ee2x\EE2X_db_155.zip\EE2X_db\TechTree" to get the mod to work

You can do the same with any building or unit upgrade
Many thanks for the information brownsfan_95, this is massively helpful and appreciated! (also thanks for the reply in the other thread, understood and fingers crossed for a solution on that side of things) I needed the above info for a planned history-based campaign so essentially this has greatly increased my enthusiasm for making it, thanks again!

Cheers

Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

I would recommend to avoid files modding for a campaign. It will force users who want to try it to also mod their game files. Even if done only for personal usage, it will block UP1.5 updates (unless you want to repeat modding steps on files every month). I know it's cool to have things as we imagine them, but for compatibility reasons I would recommend to only use tools that are available by the Map Editor or .IES scripts.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
Sat42

Post by Sat42 »

Hi again!

I see, and now I am beginning to really see why the Developers version of 1.5 exists too - I get that the way the normal 1.5 works, changing ddf files leads to complications. It's a shame there is no function to change such things for scenarios without resorting to changing the whole game.

At the end of the day, I think that at least for the time being, I will try to limit my campaign development efforts to the Developers version: I just can't get my motivation up unless I have the freedom to make my historical setting as close to the historical truth as possible, stubborn as it sounds (and since I still want to use Loew's Ambient Pack, I will try to make it work in the Developers version too). Maybe once it's done and my better half got to enjoy it too (along with a couple other people I know will be interested), and after getting feedback, I will release a version for normal 1.5 (if it meets the requirements).

But thanks for making that clear: modding (as in touching ddf files, even a bit) is for the Developers' version, and for the normal 1.5 version you have to limit yourself to what's possible in the Map Editor and with .IES scripts (I thought working with scripts was modding too, but actually they just take the role of a trigger system in-editor).
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

You can of course edit on the normal version of 1.5 too (using the changed files structure). Just after the update those files will be overwritten. And for obvious reason if you ever want to include your scenario to UP1.5 (so everyone gets it with an update), it can't have DDF files of epochs edited. That's why I recommend to script on things which we are able to access without files modding.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains

Return to “Questions”