Loew's Ambient Pack for EE2 1.5 (Final)

ImageImageTalking about Modding for EE2 and EE2 AOS. New maps, patches, programs and Multiplayer scenarios.
Gonzalo

Re: Loew's Ambient Pack for EE2 1.5 (Final)

Post by Gonzalo »

Thank you very much!!

Loewenherz

Post by Loewenherz »

While designing my first scenario I came to the realisation that by default there is no concept of "shallows" in Empire Earth 2 (unlike in Age of Empires 1/2, where land units can cross shallow water areas), and I already raised the issue here: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5226

This is a shame since my scenario is set during prehistory, and I cannot have primitive tribes-people build bridges, ships etc.

My question is directed at you because you already added a water sheet (called "river") as an ambient in your pack, and I think more could be done with it: it is currently just a static texture on a sheet, BUT
- is it possible to make that water/river sheet have an animated (looping) texture?
- even better, would it be possible to get the animated water texture used by Empire Earth 2 for use with your river sheet ambient? moreover, if the surface reflection property could be added to that water sheet, the illusion would be perfect!

If the answers to these questions are positive, then it would open up exciting new map design possibilities, where land units could cross "rivers" on foot where the water is shallow, etc. It would be particularly welcome for scenarios taking place in ancient times.
Our new models did not support animations or reflections. Only static models can create via nifskope. Or there use the animations from the original EE2 units. The only idea are, to create a shallows river, to tricks a littel bit with color and ambient units.

Maybe look it better, if i make the texture transparent?
EE2_ScreenShot0.jpg
EE2_ScreenShot0.jpg (348.85 KiB) Viewed 7263 times
That's all, thats possible.
EE2_ScreenShot0.jpg
EE2_ScreenShot0.jpg (274.85 KiB) Viewed 7260 times
List of tutorials, useful threads and utilities (look here before posting): Here

Add Pics to Map: viewtopic.php?f=54&p=25184#p25184

Loews Work: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5160
Sat42

Post by Sat42 »

Hi Loew!!

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Nice try with the top screenshot you posted, but indeed to me it doesn't manage to sell the concept of "shallow water".

The last (bottom) screenshot you posted, however, is MUCH closer to what I hope to be able to do!! I suppose you changed your "river" sheet texture to be transparent, correct? If so, I would be most grateful if your Ambient Pack could be updated to have the river sheet be transparent as on that screenshot! Because yes, when it's transparent it can be used to make actual shallows look credible.

P.S.: nifskope can import models from Blender yes? including with animations I suppose?
Loewenherz

Post by Loewenherz »

Nifskope can import models from Blender, but not with animations. And my Experience is, that the changed river texture is not so good. You cant see units under the transparent texture. Dont aks, but so it looks not good.

PS: The files have a generally transparency problem. You can't see units behind a transparent texture. :(
List of tutorials, useful threads and utilities (look here before posting): Here

Add Pics to Map: viewtopic.php?f=54&p=25184#p25184

Loews Work: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5160
Sat42

Post by Sat42 »

That is indeed problematic, Loew! So transparency for a "fake" water sheet is not really an option... Oh well, I guess that means the dream of shallows in EEII will remain a dream!
However, if you don't mind, I would still like to see this transparent river texture in your ambient pack - it won't work for shallows, BUT it can still be used for eye candy, for example, a small pond between some rocks, at varying altitude, stuff like that! Limited effect, but still a good addition for making more elaborate details in maps.

Thanks again for your time!

Besides that -
I have found this regarding Nifskope and animations: http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php ... -nifskope/
So new animations are possible!
I intend to slowly investigate this myself...

Cheers
Sat42

Post by Sat42 »

Dr.MonaLisa wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 17:32 Just to make things clear:
Loew's Ambient Pack didn't add any animals to game. "New" and other animals which can be produced in the "ZOO" building were added with the normal, first version of UP1.5 (back in 2014 or something).
- is there no way for this pack to work in the Developers version of 1.5?
There is, if moving and editing files from db_155.zip to db.zip... But why complicate life like this?
Hi Dr.MonaLisa,

I am about to start building a scenario for Developers version of 1.5 (because I want to mod the game), and would like to use Loew's Ambient Pack. You hinted at what to do: moving and editing files from db_155.zip to db.zip... Exactly what, can you say please?

I intend to work with EE2X (for access to all civilisations).

I found 3 loew_ambient_pack files in 1.5 Normal Edition -> zips_ee2x -> EE2X_db_155 -> EE2X_db -> Units:

loew_ambient_pack_15_ee2x, loew_ambient_pack_15_2_ee2x, loew_ambient_pack_15_2_editmode_ee2x.

Do I just need to move the above files to 1.5 Developers Edition -> zips_ee2x -> EE2X_db -> EE2X_db -> Units?

Sorry I didn't search by myself all that much, I admit I thought it would be faster to ask here and avoid screwing up an install :)

P.S.: when I launch the game with the Developers version of 1.5, I still get the prelaunch window with interface and settings for Normal 1.5, but I guess that doesn't matter, it still says 1.5.7 + Mod when I get into the game.

Thanks in advance!
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Yes, you should move them there, but additionally edit dbunits.cfg file or something like this (can't remember now) where .ddf fjles are set to be read in game.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
Sat42

Post by Sat42 »

Dr.MonaLisa wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 21:29 Yes, you should move them there, but additionally edit dbunits.cfg file or something like this (can't remember now) where .ddf fjles are set to be read in game.
Hey thanks for the quick reply! Also forgot to mention the moving of Loew ambients' graphics and textures folders over to 1.5 Developers Edition -> zips.
And yes I changed dbunitfiles.cfg but have a question:
- I did see that the Normal 1.5 edition uses 2 .cfg files under EE2X_db_155 -> EE2X_db: dbunitfile5 contains loew_ambient_pack_15_2_ee2x and dbunitfile6 contains loew_ambient_pack_15_2_editmode_ee2x instead (both have loew_ambient_pack_15_ee2x). I understand this was done for alternating invisible/visible blockers, as a result I am wondering what's best for my Developers' version.
- I tested with dbunitfiles.cfg having loew_ambient_pack_15_2_editmode_ee2x, and Loew's ambients appear under "Animals" in object placement; blockers are visible in the editor and when you test the mission
- I tested with dbunitfiles.cfg having loew_ambient_pack_15_2_ee2x instead (second configuration choice), and Loew's ambients appear under "Ambients" and blockers are invisible, but work

=> should I simply manually change to the second configuration once I am done mapping? The idea being that this config would be the one used when sharing my mod with others? Seems like the most reasonable solution

EDIT: I just noticed that thankfully, pathfinding around those blockers works best in non-editmode (when in editmode the blockers really make the pathfinding finicky)
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Hmm, in UP1.5 Settings there is an option "Loew Map Editor Mode", but I don't think it works on Developers Version, because it's for the Normal one with *.5.cfg and *.6.cfg.
Generally when "blockers" are visible, you can also rotate units. I'm not sure which one would be the best in the mod release, I suppose the one with invisible blockers.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
Sat42

Post by Sat42 »

Dr.MonaLisa wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 13:16 Hmm, in UP1.5 Settings there is an option "Loew Map Editor Mode", but I don't think it works on Developers Version, because it's for the Normal one with *.5.cfg and *.6.cfg.
Generally when "blockers" are visible, you can also rotate units. I'm not sure which one would be the best in the mod release, I suppose the one with invisible blockers.
Yes I agree, and yes I can rotate (thanks for reminding me of that) units and ambients in editmode and after saving the map, the info (on rotations) are kept even with invisible blockers, so the latter would be the config for mod release.

Return to “EE2 Files, Modding, Maps, Scenarios, Scripting, Testing, etc.”