Any civs that prioritise technology advancement?

Modding, Map Editor, IES Scripting and Other Questions
Empire_Infiniti

Any civs that prioritise technology advancement?

Post by Empire_Infiniti »

Every time I play games against the AI, it seems they never build much universities and try to advance fast with tech points. Are there any specific civilizations that are wired to act that way? That will be more determined to build universities and push tech advancement?

Or is there anything in the DB files I could change to make them act this way?

Thanks

Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Re: Any civs that prioritise technology advancement?

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

I don't think there is a specified civilization that builds more universities.

You would need to edit almost all files in folders:

For EE2: aips\

For EE2 AOS: aips_ee2x\

using Notepad++ text editor. This way you could tweak or add more universities to be built at certain stages. I am still not sure if that would be enough, or if some other file decides how many citizens should be gathering tech points.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
Empire_Infiniti

Thanks!

Added after 2 hours 49 seconds:
okay I've tried some tests in the agressive and passive files, looks like this:

I put the university right after city center and adjusted the priority accordingly. should this mean the AI will build university as their first building?

I've tested it and the AI still build barracks and warehouses instead. am I looking at the right code?

I appreciate any help.

thanks
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

You're looking at the right code, but it needs to be updated in many .aip files, since it's impossible to determine which one the AI will use at the test moment.

I think universities should be after warehouses later.

Also, the "(block?)" YES value is dangerous to use. I mean... It's the main reason why the AI players can hang and look like frozen. I had many problems with UP1.5 buildings, that's why they were set not to block.

So in theory, when a game starts on a small islands with no place for the second university, then AI will freeze and most likely won't even build a dock after it to transport citizens and take another territory. This whole system of orders is weirdly designed, that's why I avoid touching it as much as possible.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Empire_Infiniti

interesting, I dont remember changing the block value I thought the default was yes

maybe i'll do a whole re download on the game and make sure my files arent screwed up

thanks as always
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

By default the game blocks things, but it was (hopefully) tested by developers before release, so there's a lower chance that the AI will freeze. It's not only matter of blocking, but considering all circumstances (as the one I mentioned with small islands).

I would recommend to keep a clean copy of EE2 (even without UP1.5), before you start modding on game files. After all it doesn't take that much space on disk.

By the way, maybe there are players who heavily modified .aip files, so my reply doesn't seem right for them. I'm just too fearful about .aip files as it's extremely hard to test. A single mistake might cause a game crash or AI freeze after few minutes of hours of the game, so that not something possible to verify. This is also a common issue in the other "big" EE2 mods.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs

Return to “Questions”