I now declare this forum

News about the forum / suggestions / complaints.
asd

Re: I now declare this forum

Post by asd »

Wybacz_mi?

And wuts your name/code on eu burning? yes I know I cannot add you cuz im us..

asd

Post by asd »

For anyone following sc2 pro scene/anyone who wants to know about it here's an article that is going to be published in the "Economist" magazine.

Pros clicking at war
An American firm wants to turn computer games into a global spectator sport
Oct 28th 2010

Arriving for a big e-sports match
THE first round is over and 32 of the world’s best professional computer-game players are through to the next stage of the Global Starcraft 2 League being played in Seoul, South Korea. Over the next two weeks the players, including the reigning champion, Kim Won-ki (better known by his online moniker “FruitDealer”), will marshal their armies, ponder their strategies and crush their foes. The finalists will play in front of an audience of thousands (and hundreds of thousands more online) for an $87,000 first prize and the respect due the best Starcraft 2 player on the planet.

This is e-sports, or professional computer-gaming, at its highest level. Just like football or baseball, computer games can be played competitively and in front of paying spectators. South Korea, where the original Starcraft game was released in 1998, is the spiritual home of e-sports.

South Korean fans watch games broadcast on cable television and the players are celebrities. Teams flush with sponsorship money pay stars salaries on top of their prize money. (One player, Lee Yoon-Yeol, aka “Nada”, is rumoured to earn around $200,000 a year; a journeyman player might make $20,000). Now Activision Blizzard, the California-based company that developed the Starcraft games, is keen to spread the popularity of e-sports in the West.

Will it work? Professional computer-gaming in the West has been around for several years, with outfits like the Electronic Sports League in Europe and Major League Gaming in America. But it has never taken off to the extent that it has in South Korea. Activision Blizzard thinks that will change as faster broadband makes it easier to broadcast games over the internet. The company designed Starcraft 2 with spectators in mind and has flown famous Korean players to America to play an exhibition match. GomTV, the Korean firm that runs the league, is providing English commentary on games and it has opened the tournament to any non-Korean player that can manage to qualify.

Advertisers are attracted by the ability of e-sports to target an audience with plenty of spending money; Sony Ericsson is sponsoring the tournament in Seoul. The average American gamer is in his 30s and well-educated. With sponsorship comes the money necessary to attract players to pursue computer gaming as a career, says Sean Plott (better known as “Day[9]”), an American player-turned-commentator. Intel recently sponsored a European tournament with a $15,000 prize pool. Perhaps the biggest obstacle to exporting e-sports to the West is a lingering belief that playing computer games is not a proper job—an idea that would no doubt sound familiar to pioneers of professional sports from tennis to snooker.
Burning

Post by Burning »

asd nobody reads that^^ sand my Name is BurningSteps
asd

Post by asd »

Noooooob.

Wut is the code though?
asd

Post by asd »

Btw, big tourney going on here:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/djWHEAT

Huk Idra LZGamer and Slush playing today (in case anyone here know's them, although I doubt it ;p)
Malistrom

Post by Malistrom »

Lol, I watched a video of Idra play a 1vs1 against some guy(cannot recall his name now). He lost and was very pissed off, saying it was the civ he chose. I found that funny^^. Starcraft just doesn't look that fun, its looks similar to a fast pace bab with lazers and not as much micro.
asd

Post by asd »

Malistrom wrote:Lol, I watched a video of Idra play a 1vs1 against some guy(cannot recall his name now). He lost and was very pissed off, saying it was the civ he chose. I found that funny^^. Starcraft just doesn't look that fun, its looks similar to a fast pace bab with lazers and not as much micro.
Not as much micro? Facepalmmm.

Yeah, idra always complains about balance. He did it in SC:BW when it was all balanced and he does it in sc2 (although the balance isn't perfect since the game just came out, but it's super close).

For some reason you ee2 players think the only micro = dodging arrows Image

It's pretty impossible to compare SC2 with EE2. That's all I'll say, cuz I know I can never get through to you guys.
Nightstand

Post by Nightstand »

Lolo! well.. asd is rightv: P u cant compare this games....
Take for example 5-5 in EE2 all play the same Romans xbows and catas.. maybe rams... but in SC2 if u play PvP ..the one guy make 4 gate the other guy 3 and robotics... Well maybe both play 4 gate or sth but its rare that they both have same strategie.... Well Im talking again a lot althought I just agree with asd : P!
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

But it's only in 5-5.
In med pace, for exapmle you can do everythink what you want, and in r-r is more units than SC2. Star Craft 2 is new game, with 1mln players, thats why u all deffence and can't admit, that EE2 was better.

amen.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
asd

Post by asd »

asd wrote:
It's pretty impossible to compare SC2 with EE2. That's all I'll say, cuz I know I can never get through to you guys.

Return to “Forum Affairs / Administration”