Homework Help

Talk about the life, other things than EE2, post jokes and anything that's funny.
Legolego40

Homework Help

Post by Legolego40 »

Need help with math? English? Something else? Post it here, and I/we'll try to help you to the best of my/our ability/ies.

lukwerty

Re: Homework Help

Post by lukwerty »

Oh great initiative from your part. Now I won't need to go at school every time to clarify my doubts. Let's inaugurate it then.

Well I do have some simple doubts in English, perhaps you may clarify them for me.

I haven't never understood exactly when I must use at/in/on... I asked for some people fluents in English but they just said to me that there's no specifics formulas and explications for it. Anyway I still think there are.
For instance, sometimes I see "at the end" : He's coming with his cabinet at the end of the month. And other times I see "in the end" : They sold it and after, in the end, gained their sweaty money.
I presume that at the end would be, lemme see... "when something ends in(or at? xD) a specific time" according to the context. And the other one have a sense of "finally", right? Well I don't know if what I thought is right, however I think by myself: If we changed and reversed these prepositions, the meaning would be the same one or this is an only model? Just wondering.

I'd appreciate if you can reply it.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Prepositions express relationships in space can be ided into two types: prepositions prepositions of place and direction.

Prepositions are different in terms of dimensions, to which they relate. Using geometric concepts can be ided into three groups: those that relate to a point, to the surface and to the area.

Point

Prepositions in this group indicate that the noun, which occurs when one is treated as a point in relation to other objects around it.

Surface

Prepositions in this group indicate that the noun, which occurs when one is determined with respect to the surface on which it is located.

Area

Prepositions in this group indicate that the noun, which occurs when one is in a closed area.

The classification of prepositions at, on, in:

AT ..... point

ON ..... surface

IN ...... closed area.

The bicycle is at the house - the house is at some point in the house or at home.

The glass is on the table - the glass is on the table surface.

Poland is in Europe - we assume that Europe is an area closed.

All these sentences answer the question: "Where is he?", But each gives different information.

Bike is located at a specific point in relation to the house.
A glass surface is treated as a table.
Poland treats Europe as a close geographical area.
The use of "AT"

At the least precise preposition, which also has other applications:

Place:

He is at school - in school, the school

She is waiting at a bus stop - waiting at a bus stop

Destination:

They arrived at our house - come to us.

Direction:

He threw a ball at me - he threw a ball at me.

You yelled at me - yelling at me.

"IN" and "ON"

Nouns that define a closed space such as: doors and box are both "in" and "on". "IN" is used when talking about the "ON" when we talk about the surface, such as: He is playing football on the field (area). Where is he? He is in the Field (area). "In" means that the area is closed, while the "on" expresses only the surfaces that can be closed or not.

You could say:
She is in the street - he is on the street (street area) or "on the street" (for powierzchi street). The second form has a metaphorical meaning. Is homeless.
Google translated, but may help you.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
lukwerty

Post by lukwerty »

ok...I got it and thank you for the info.
But why "at school and at home?" Doesn't it indicate a closed area? if this does, then it would be more appropriate "in" I think.. however I've never seen any fluent English person talking or writing with "in" in these cases.

EDIT: I know it is out of the topic of doubt suggested by me. But normally I see in a few of the texts that I read the preposition "owing to" with sense of due to and because of... and I'd like to know if I said it to an american guy, would he understand with the same meaning or it would be more emphatic and or (in)formal?
Legolego40

Post by Legolego40 »

lukwerty wrote:ok...I got it and thank you for the info.
But why "at school and at home?" Doesn't it indicate a closed area? if this does, then it would be more appropriate "in" I think.. however I've never seen any fluent English person talking or writing with "in" in these cases.

EDIT: I know it is out of the topic of doubt suggested by me. But normally I see in a few of the texts that I read the preposition "owing to" with sense of due to and because of... and I'd like to know if I said it to an american guy, would he understand with the same meaning or it would be more emphatic and or (in)formal?
This may be a bit of a confusing explanation, since I've normally just taken "at" and "in" for granted.

Going from the explanation Leader posted, I'd say it's "at school" and "at home" for the same reason it'd be "at work" instead of "in work". Then again, you can say "I'm at school" and "I'm in school". "At" means you're at the school, and "in" means you're in the school. I... don't really think I fully understand the complete differences myself. These might clear up a little bit for you: http://www.englishclub.com/grammar/prepositions-at-in-on-place.htm and http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/594/01/

As to your second question, "owing to" is an idiom that means "because of something," or "due to the fact of something". An example from thefreedictionary.com reads: "A Wolf found great difficulty in getting at the sheep owing to the vigilance of the shepherd and his dogs."
Strangely enough, however, I don't remember once seeing or hearing "owing to" being used. Instead, it's always been "due to"... Google searching "Owing to" vs. "Due to", I found an explanation of the two: http://www.dailywritingtips.com/owing-to-vs-due-to/ – it definitely cleared a couple things up for me.
lukwerty

Post by lukwerty »

These sites of navegation really helped me a lot. Thanks.
But, let's suppose, if I said to you right now, "I'm in school". Would it sound better than "I'm at school" for you who is an american guy?
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Lukwer, if I good understand, then it's like:
I'm at school = you are at "place" which is school. So you are somewhere in school, or on terrytory of the school. So it's like you're at school's playground, but your mum still thinks you are "at school".
When you are "In school" - it's like you are inside building. So you are in classroom, for example Image

But I'm not sure if it's right. Someone "agree" with it, if I am.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
lukwerty

Post by lukwerty »

Well it makes sense.

Anyway I was searching about it and I found somethings which might clarify us.

First one.

"Either works.

'I'm in school' indicates that you are somewhere (likely the school building, but maybe on like a field trip or something) with a teacher FOR school. It can also mean that a break hasn't come yet, like Winter or Summer break.

'I'm at school' indicates that you are physically at your school building, again probably for school (like learning). If you say 'I'm at THE school' it would mean that you are at the school building, although not necessarily FOR school.

So sorry... I'm awful at explaining."

and second one(I particularly preferred this answer).

"Yes, you can. However, 'at' describes the exact moment about which you are speaking, i.e. "I'm at school" implies "I'm at school right now".
"I'm in school" can also be used in this context but it could also be used to answer a general question. Example:
- "Do you work or do you study?"
- "I study; I'm still in school." "

Bibliography: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110328114302AAfiYmy
Legolego40

Post by Legolego40 »

lukwerty wrote:Well it makes sense.

Anyway I was searching about it and I found somethings which might clarify us.

First one.

"Either works.

'I'm in school' indicates that you are somewhere (likely the school building, but maybe on like a field trip or something) with a teacher FOR school. It can also mean that a break hasn't come yet, like Winter or Summer break.

'I'm at school' indicates that you are physically at your school building, again probably for school (like learning). If you say 'I'm at THE school' it would mean that you are at the school building, although not necessarily FOR school.

So sorry... I'm awful at explaining."

and second one(I particularly preferred this answer).

"Yes, you can. However, 'at' describes the exact moment about which you are speaking, i.e. "I'm at school" implies "I'm at school right now".
"I'm in school" can also be used in this context but it could also be used to answer a general question. Example:
- "Do you work or do you study?"
- "I study; I'm still in school." "

Bibliography: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110328114302AAfiYmy
I think this explains it rather nicely.
lukwerty

Post by lukwerty »

Seriously guys, I don't know if this is the right topic for it. But well I was here and I didn't want to create another topic... Therefore I'd like to know your version about the World War II. In other words, your opinion.

Return to “Relaxation Zone”