RESHADE not working

ImageNeed any help? Do you have a problem? Ask us! We will help you!
baerenserbe

RESHADE not working

Post by baerenserbe »

Thanks a lot for the latest ee2_UP1.5.8 Patch, its amazing! Could u plz give me advice how to add my reshade d3d8.dll to the patched game? in vanilla i put my d3d8.dll plus my d3d9.dll to the root directory of ee2 and it works...when i patch it with the latest 1.5.8 patch and start the game, the d3d8.dll file is automatically removed and reshade doesnt work. i tried to protect the file with my windows10 options but the file deletes everytime i launch the game, plz help. Greetings

Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Re: RESHADE not working

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Hi.

Good question, it should be better documented, but I guess I waited for a topic like this...

Why d3d8.dll get's deleted?
- This is an "antic" function in the Launcher, that removes the patched "d3d8.dll" when a fix for graphics bugs (no fire/explosion effects) on Intel HD GPUs is disabled.
I guess it's still confusing, so:
- When in UP1.5 Settings option "Enable DirectX 9 (DX8 to DX9 Converter)" is unchecked, then
- A new option appears "Enable a fix for graphics bugs (no fire/explosion)".
- When the mentioned option is checked, the Launcher copies some of files from folder "Unofficial Patch Files\IntelHDGraphicsBugsFix" to the main directory.
- When it's unchecked, the Launcher checks if those files exist in the main directory and automatically deletes them.

...and then more confusing thing:
- When option "Enable DirectX 9 (DX8 to DX9 Converter)" is checked, a new, separated option is available: "Fix for graphics bugs (no fire/explosion in DirectX 9"
- When DirectX 9 is enabled, EE2 process doesn't longer read d3d8.dll at all. It starts the game process from folder "Unofficial Patch Files\EnabledUP15UnitsDX9".
- Instead of d3d8.dll, a file named "UP1.5.dll" is loaded and treated as DirectX 8. This is a modified version of https://github.com/crosire/d3d8to9/
- When "Fix for graphics bugs (no fire/explosion in DirectX 9" is checked, it only modifies UnofficialVersionConfig.txt, so UP1.5.dll knows to apply additional tweaks.

So the simplest answer would be, to rename your d3d8.dll file to UP1.5.dll. But is it needed if UP1.5.dll is already a DX8 to DX9 converter? Maybe just putting d3d9.dll and the other reshade files is enough?
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
baerenserbe

Post by baerenserbe »

PERFECT! thanks for your help, it worked, i put the d3d9.dll and reshade.ini version 4.7 in directory ....Empire Earth II Gold\Unofficial Patch Files\EnabledUP15UnitsDX9 ....thank you, you made this good game, very great multiplayer game, i will play it with some friends soon
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Putting to "Unofficial Patch Files\EnabledUP15UnitsDX9" is a wrong method. The Launcher might remove it after game process re-creation. Could you please try to paste it to the root game folder (the one that has all other game folders) and see if it's working fine?
Also, could you please share what reshade effects you tested in game? I'm interested in it, but never had enough patience to test myself :)
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
baerenserbe

Post by baerenserbe »

Dr.MonaLisa wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 18:29 Putting to "Unofficial Patch Files\EnabledUP15UnitsDX9" is a wrong method. The Launcher might remove it after game process re-creation. Could you please try to paste it to the root game folder (the one that has all other game folders) and see if it's working fine?
Also, could you please share what reshade effects you tested in game? I'm interested in it, but never had enough patience to test myself :)
thanks for your advice, it tried the same copy paste in the root folder and it wont work...i will share some "before-after" screens, thank you a lot for ur patching work =)

the screens are taking by a lenovo y50-70 with gtx 860m, i7 4710hq @ 2,5ghz and 16gb ram win 10 64bit,reshade 4.7 with pascal gilcher pathtracing shader (depth map access only possible by disabling anti aliasing) and other shader tweaks
Last edited by baerenserbe on 07 Dec 2020, 12:43, edited 5 times in total.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Looks nice! Thanks for sharing. It looks too faked in my opinion. I guess those settings depend on personal preferences :)

The problem with "Unofficial Patch Files\EnabledUP15UnitsDX9" is that it gets fully cleared after UP1.5 Minor Updates or after changing a screen resolution.
It's because people were pasting mss32.dll (and other random DLLs) to those folders when they had problem starting game. Later, when the problem was solved (usually by configuring antivirus), they experienced problems like missing audio, and so on. Then they asked for help on the Support Chat, and we were wasting time figuring out what's wrong... Anyway... You can either backup reshade configuration before updates, or we can try to figure out how to use the main game directory to store those .dll files? I believe there might be wrong locations set in reshade's config file?
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
baerenserbe

Post by baerenserbe »

Dr.MonaLisa wrote: 07 Dec 2020, 09:48 Looks nice! Thanks for sharing. It looks too faked in my opinion. I guess those settings depend on personal preferences :)

The problem with "Unofficial Patch Files\EnabledUP15UnitsDX9" is that it gets fully cleared after UP1.5 Minor Updates or after changing a screen resolution.
It's because people were pasting mss32.dll (and other random DLLs) to those folders when they had problem starting game. Later, when the problem was solved (usually by configuring antivirus), they experienced problems like missing audio, and so on. Then they asked for help on the Support Chat, and we were wasting time figuring out what's wrong... Anyway... You can either backup reshade configuration before updates, or we can try to figure out how to use the main game directory to store those .dll files? I believe there might be wrong locations set in reshade's config file?
thanks, my reshade folder with the shaders are external on an another partition, the only files are d3d9.dll 32bit and reshade.ini with location info of other reshade files directory. no problem experienced jet, thanks for advice to backup my files.

if i get crashes i will turn reshade mod off =)
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

That's interesting.

So it seems like d3d9.dll from system32 or SysWOW64 directory gets priority in loading to EE2 process. I thought the working directory (EE2 folder) would have the priority. I might need to check it later.

Topic Solved & Locked
If anyone has the same problem, please open a new topic
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs

Return to “Help, Questions & Problems. Empire Earth II Support.”