Crossover installation

ImageNeed any help? Do you have a problem? Ask us! We will help you!
darko1980

Crossover installation

Post by darko1980 »

Hi all, long time follower of this site and have been playing EE2 for years!

I recently bought a MBP 16 and have just purchased the app Crossover and then added EE2. I of course now want to mod it with the EE2 patch!

Having trouble doing the process of installation via Crossover. Can anyone assist?

Cheers

Darko

Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Re: Crossover installation

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Hi.
Crossover uses Wine. Wine on Mac has the same problems as the Linux version. This is why Linux is unsupported according to: https://www.ee2.eu/patch/#information
You might get a problem with missing textures, black units, Out of Sync in Multiplayer, etc. Besides that, the performance will be worse than with the same hardware on Windows, and some of default hotkeys will not work correctly.

Anyway, what exactly is the problem? The UP1.5 installer should start correctly using Crossover. What steps have you tried?

I would recommend to consider installing a second OS on your Mac (Windows 10). You can do this using "Boot Camp Assistant".
I can not exactly assist with it, as I don't use Apple devices, but you will find many tutorials online.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
IndieRock00

Post by IndieRock00 »

Hi, I dare to suggest the use of a virtual machine. Although with limited resources it should run Ee2 without difficulty.
Long life and prosperity. 🖖
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Virtual Machines have a HUGE affect on performance. It is not recommended. Wine or Windows as the second OS is a way better solution.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
darko1980

Post by darko1980 »

Hey hey,

It came up with an error after i pointed the installation to the correct file. can't remember the exact error, but will try again and advise.

Re Windows 10, I thought I was smart when I bought the MBP through work, I had them install Windows 10 with Bootcamp, but unfortunately they've locked me out of installing programs :( hence the attempt to go the wine route.

I'll try again!

Cheers

Darko
Dr.MonaLisa wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 09:04 Hi.
Crossover uses Wine. Wine on Mac has the same problems as the Linux version. This is why Linux is unsupported according to: https://www.ee2.eu/patch/#information
You might get a problem with missing textures, black units, Out of Sync in Multiplayer, etc. Besides that, the performance will be worse than with the same hardware on Windows, and some of default hotkeys will not work correctly.

Anyway, what exactly is the problem? The UP1.5 installer should start correctly using Crossover. What steps have you tried?

I would recommend to consider installing a second OS on your Mac (Windows 10). You can do this using "Boot Camp Assistant".
I can not exactly assist with it, as I don't use Apple devices, but you will find many tutorials online.
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

I don't understand how they have locked you from installing programs? That sounds strange, since 99% of things on Windows are done by third party programs. Maybe you could format the windows partition manually, and set the bootcamp yourself?
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs

Return to “Help, Questions & Problems. Empire Earth II Support.”