can't save games after I installed UP 1.5

ImageNeed any help? Do you have a problem? Ask us! We will help you!
kierkegaard47

can't save games after I installed UP 1.5

Post by kierkegaard47 »

Hi all,

I have been a player of EE2 game for years off and on, and I recently decided to re-install it. Browsed the internet to find a fix for some annoying random crashes and stumbled upon this unofficial patch.

Seems to work great -no more crashes!-and looks splendid, too! My compliments to whoever made this.

However, when playing SP skirmishes (as I usually do), It seems I'm no longer able to save games. The 'load game' feature seems to be working fine, but only for games I saved before I installed this patch. If I attempt to save a game I get to see a list of those earlier savegames. However, when trying to overwrite such a savegame with my current game, or entering a new name, it doesn't seem to save those games into that directory, or anywhere else on my harddisk for that matter.

Does anyone know how to solve this ? My apologies if this is a very elementary question.

Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Re: can't save games after I installed UP 1.5

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Hi. Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting.

Saving games should work fine with Unofficial Patch 1.5. I use this feature very often.

Please make some tests:
1. Start Empire Earth 2 as administrator (click the right mouse button on the EE2 1.5 Launcher icon, and select "run as administrator" from the list). Start any new game and try to save it (for example name it: BlaBlaBla.sav).
2. Go to the folder with saves, it's Documents\Empire Earth II\\savegame_SP (or Documents\Empire Earth II The Art of Supremacy\savegame_SP if you're playing on EE2: AOS), and check if the save (BlaBlaBla.sav) is present in this folder.
3. If the save is not present, rename folder savegame_SP to savegame_SP_old, so the game will re-create it the next time you start it. Start the game normally (not as administrator).
If everything works fine after these steps, you can cut files from savegame_SP_old and paste them to savegame_SP folder to play your old saves.

I hope it helps.
Please note, that actually this problem shouldn't be present by installing the Unofficial Patch 1.5. It should work normally, as in the official version 1.2 (saving feature was not modified at all), so it would be nice to detect what caused this issue. When you fix the problem, please click the right mouse button on the savegame_SP_old folder, and select "Properties", then make a screenshot of every tab and send to me (don't need to be in English). If I detect something incorrect, I'll try to add a fix for permissions of this folder to UP1.5 installer.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains
kierkegaard47

Post by kierkegaard47 »

Thanks for your swift reply!

I tried your suggestions, but unfortunately neither step 1 nor step 2 was succesful. After running through step 1 as admin, I couldn't find the savegame in step 2, so I renamed the directory, and restarted the launcher. Now, when I attempt to save, I got an empty directory, and saved my game. Upon rechecking my explorer, I found that no new savegame_SP directory had been created; only the renamed directory savegame_SP_old was present. Tried this several times to be absolutely sure.

Weird thing is though, that I can save my preferential settings for such a skirmish game in a .fav file. Go figure....
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Thank you for testing it.
1. Try to re-name the whole Documents\Empire Earth II folder to Empire Earth II_old and see if it's successfully re-created.
2. What Anti-wirus program do you use? Temporarily disable your Anti-virus program and see if folder's are re-created. Some antiviruses (for example Bitdefender) have an anti-ransomware module which blocks programs from modifying files in specified folders. Maybe UP1.5 executables are "unknown" and being blocked.

2019-05-08 20_13_29-Bitdefender Security Center.png
2019-05-08 20_13_29-Bitdefender Security Center.png (73.42 KiB) Viewed 2269 times
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
kierkegaard47

Post by kierkegaard47 »

Ah, the 2nd suggestion did the trick. Turns out that the exe of UP 1.5 was on the list of bitdefender blocked programs. Added it to the exceptions list and now it seems to write savegames just as it should.

Thank you !
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Nice, I'm happy that its fixed now :)

Topic Solved & Locked
If anyone has the same problem, please open a new topic
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs