Maximize problems with Empire Earth II on Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10

ImageNeed any help? Do you have a problem? Ask us! We will help you!
Dr.MonaLisa
High Representative

Maximize problems with Empire Earth II on Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

Empire Earth II and Empire Earth II: The Art of Supremacy (ver. 1.0-1.2) are incompatible with Windows 8+.
The game will be keep minimizing, and you won't be able to maximize it.

The best solution for maximize problems is installing Unofficial Patch 1.5: http://forum.ee2.eu/t1723-ee2-1.5
The patch supports all possible screen resolutions, so the game can be maximized using ALT+TAB.
Additionally, the patch has the "Maximization Helper" with 3 solutions (in case you were still unable to maximize the game).
Even if you don't like 1.5 features (new units, buildings) you will be able to disable them in the patch configuration utility after installation.

Unfortunately, some new computers have pre-installed programs which still cause maximization problems.

* LENOVO laptops:
Lenovo pre-installs a lot of programs (bloatware). Some of their programs are keep minimizing EE2. There is only one solution: Remove Lenovo's programs one by one, and check which one caused it.
To remove a program go to: Control Panel / Programs / Uninstall a program
The first program you should remove is: "Lenovo Auto Scroll Utility". If removing it didn't help - you will have to remove other programs with "Lenovo" in name.

* Laptops with Synaptics Touchpad, with updated drivers to version: 19.x.x:
This is a new problem, caused by the new Synaptics Touchpad drivers. Those drivers are downloaded automatically by Windows Update on some laptops.
1. Go to: "Control Panel / Programs / Uninstall a program" and find: "Synaptics Pointing Device Drivers". Select it, and check what version is installed. If the version is 19.x.x or older, please follow next steps.
2. Download older Synaptics Drivers, for example here: http://www.synaptics.com/en/drivers.php (or on your laptop's support website).
3. Remove "Synaptics Pointing Device Drivers" in the Control Panel.
4. Restart the computer if it's needed.
5a. If you can not use the touchpad mouse - restart the computer again.
5b. If you can use the touchpad mouse - check if you can start Empire Earth II with no problems.
6. If you still can not use the touchpad - connect a normal mouse, or use arrows to navigate to the folder where you downloaded old Synaptics Drivers.
7. Install old drivers, and restart the computer if needed.
8. Check if EE2 works. If it doesn't, then unfortunately it wasn't the synaptics drivers fault.
9. Go to the "Control Panel / Windows Update", click: "Check for updates". Wait until it finds updates, then click on the: "...updates are available". Check if something with "Synaptics" in name is present (in important or optional updates), then right mouse click on it, and select "Hide update" from the list. Thanks to this the drivers won't be updated automatically, so the problem won't return.

* HP laptops with HP SimplePass software:
Users of new HP laptops who are unable to maximize Empire Earth II, should uninstall HP SimplePass program or install the newest version of Unofficial patch 1.5.
If you're using the newest version of Unofficial Patch (1.5.4.001+) - please use "Solution 1" in the Maximization Helper window which should appear every time you start the game on Windows 8+.

* Unofficial Patch 1.5.4.001+ has improved fixes for those problems:
In UP1.5.4 (minor version 154001) I created a new function that solves maximization problems. To use it, please simply click "Solution 1" in the Maximization Helper Window that appears after you start the game on Windows 8 and newer.
How it works? I created a list of the "problematic" programs that cause maximize problems on people's computers. The list is downloaded automatically from the server if you're connected to the Internet when EE2 is starting. The list can be updated by me at any time, so in case we detect new problematic programs minor updates of the game launcher won't be required.
How the function works? First, the "Solution 1" is checking if any of specified programs is running, and saving .exe locations of the currently running processess to an array. After that it's killing all processes that were defined in the configuration from the server. When the user quits the game, all programs that were killed are automatically re-launched. Thanks to this, you won't have any problems with computer (missing programs), after you quit the game.
IMPORTANT: If your game is still not working, please contact me, and I'll try to update the "problematic programs" list. I might ask for help by allowing me to see your computer screen by TeamViewer.
Best regards,
Dr.MonaLisa
Ministry of Game Affairs
Department of Control and Complains

Return to “Help, Questions & Problems. Empire Earth II Support.”